Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick Q for 4pro owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jul 25, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Is it possible to run the ampeg SVT 4 pro in Dual Mono mode but only using one Cabinet and one of the amplifiers? Will the no load condition on the other amplifier cause any problems

Also is it just me or are all ampegs 1x15 under rated in terms of wattage to deal with the svt4 pro's power? Does anyone who uses ampeg 4x10 + 1x15 and a 4pro find this or whats their experience?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I always had to use Mono Bridged if I was running one cab. For some reason the SVT-4 has some goofy wiring in it when you use Bi-amp mode (I always had to use matching gauge/length cables when running two cabs off it. For ex, I couldnt use a Speakon on one side with a regular cable on the other). I often used an Ampeg 4x10 in mono mode on it and it would far now and then, but never got damaged. In hindsight, I think I was farting because I was pushing lows instead of low mids.

The 4x10/1x15 would probably be an awesome setup. The SVT-4 can pretty much belt it out.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Bump :D

Any other 4pro users used dual mono mode and only on cab and one of the amps heads?

4. dunno? interested to know the same thing?

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am sorry, I am not sure if I understand your question.

Dual=having two parts, functions, aspects, or items of a similar kind

Mono=One; single; alone

Do you mean using only one of the amplifiers? Side A or side B? If so, it is perfectly safe to use only one side. If the stereo/monoswitch is in the out position, you can use either side independently. If the stereo/mono switch is depressed, you can only use the mono connection ( the one in the middle). And if you use mono, be sure to rewire your speakon cable. So many people go to use the mono mode and then complain that it does not give them the power that they need. If you use a regularly wired speakon cable for the mono mode, you will only get one side of the amp instead of both sides combined. I believe there is a diagram on the back of the amp that tells you how to wire the speakon cable. Let me know if I answered your questions.

6. answered mine. theshadow2001?

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yes I think you have! Dual mono is where amplifier A and amplifier B are both running one cab each and each cab is outputting full range. (which means its putting out all frequencies im pretty sure although correct me if im wrong)

So I was asking If I can run one amplifier and one cab whilst the other ampflifier is not connected to anything.

You said yes and everyone's happy :D!!

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I'm glad I can be of help. :D this mode is commonly reffered to as stereo A/B, For the most part I use one side most of the time.

9. Bthump

Bthump

Feb 10, 2005
    what I did to solve this problem was i bought a svt little classic 1x15 cab, then just replaced the speaker in it with an eminence 4 ohm cab. It raised the handling and the impedance. It sounds like a real subwoofer now, and only cost 100$!

10. Bthump

Bthump

Feb 10, 2005
    my bad i ment speaker :)

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    So i was covering all bases (no pun intended) and sent an email to ampeg and for anyone who might be interested here's what they said to me.

You can run just one side of the 4 PRO without any problems. If you
    are looking to run a 410 and a 15, I suggest the SVT410HE and the
    SVT115 coming out of the 4 PRO in mono bridged. I know this sounds
    like it would be too much power but you'll be fine doing that. You
    will have plenty of headroom too.
    As far as the low wattage rating on our 15's, I wouldn't worry too much
    about the 4PRO being too power full. We tend to overbuild everything
    and are conservative in our specs. The 4 PRO is only putting out about
    300 watts per side @ 8 ohms so running a 15 on one side is safe to do.
    Actually the 4 PRO was not designed to run an 810 cab. It was designed
    along with the PR410HLF.
    Thanks for your support in Ampeg

12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hey 4 pro owners, what settings do you use most?

I used to use the following. low switch, bright switch. and everything else flat.

Now I have gone away from the Low switch ( it sucks power) and have really gotten into the eq. The eq on this amp works better than I previously thought. I am doing more subtracting than adding these days and the sound is punchier. I also have more headroom.