1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Q re. QOTSA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bsc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bsc

bsc

May 23, 2006
    Ireland
    Hey guys,

quick question, anyone know what effects are being used for bass on track little sister from QOTSA? I really dig it.:bassist:

Regards,

Ben

2. It sounds like a fuzz, it could be a heavy overdrive though, I only just listened to it through my laptop speakers so I couldn't hear amazingly but it's definitely one of those two.

Popular options around here for fuzz are Electro Harmonix (little) Big Muff, Mojohand Huckleberry and other Muff variations like the Wren and Cuff Pickle pie. have a search for those and you should find some clips.

If it's heavy overdrive I think the Homebrew Hematoma would be perfect for this tone, have a search and you'll find plenty of clips.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Definitely a fuzz.

I usually have to use a fuzz + EQ pedal to get that tone, but some fuzzes are definitely capable of it on their own. Notice it's very low-heavy but without being muddy, it's quite a nice rock tone.

Around 2:03 you can hear the bass clearly -- that's a really compressed tone, but with very little sustain. Kinda weird, but it may just be the way he's playing (muting, etc).