Quick Question about ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smersh, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Smersh

Dec 21, 2003
    im getting a new bass for christmas, i think i want an ibanez. They seem decent. I have about 750 dollars to spend, i play 5 string, and ive been playing for many year so im not a beginner in the least. IM just curious was to what would be the best choice from ibanez to look at, quailty wise all that stuff. Any help in this decision would be a great help. Thx
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Check out the Ibanez BTB405. There's also the SRX505 and the SRX705 well within your price range.
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    It depends what you want. If you want something traditional, look at the the Soundgear (SR) series. For hard-rocking, try out the Soundgear Extreme stuff (SRX.) For something completely different, try the ED series. Plenty for all. :D
  4. Ah yes.. :) Another bassplayer opens his eyes and learns to appreciate the splendidness of the Ibanez.

The BTB is a nice one indeed, it has superp headroom ( deep lower-mids ) and nice highs. But the 35" scale is something you have to get used to.

Also check out the EDC715, which has a composite body that feels nice and round. It has a tripple-coil pickup which makes the Stingray sound like a pathetic fart. The contoured body. it's embedded thumb-rest & slapping-area. It's sweet, lush and deep lows. it's crispy highs. from FiElDy to Fenderrrr with the turn of a button.

Deep down inside.. you know it. you want the EDC.. it is inevitable.. it is your destiny.
  5. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah, good suggestions, the SR885 looks quite nice too, it caught my eye
  6. Smersh

Dec 21, 2003
    this edc sounds enticing, im in a nu-metalish, heavy kinda of band (nonemoreevil.com), but besides the shameless plug, is it really good for any type of situation. And honestly how is this luthite stuff, i see it advertised alot but is it really god. And possibly more info about the greatness of this triple coil pickup.
  7. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    ... BTB 405Qm is a good choice...!! Go for it!!
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I second checking out the EDC. Ibanez makes basses for every tone you could want, despite what people say about the "name". BTB's are more trad, The luthite body series are more modern (Not that you can't get a nice warm tone out of the EDC...).

Check out a bunch, and if you run across a used Ibanez ATK, jump on it.
  9. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I like all the Ibanez models, but the BTB 405QM is my favorite. It took a while to get used to the wide neck, but the tone is great.
  10. fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I have a BTB 400 and i love it the neck is great for slap and the EQ gets tons of great tone.
  11. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

I used to have an EDA905 until very recently. I was very happy with it. The only really bad thing about luthite is the strap screw-holes will eventually strip. It can take a few years but it'll happen. Some people also say luthite basses are a little heavy. I truthfully don't see it.

What happened to my bass is this: I had sent it back to Hoshino over two defective piezo saddles on my EDA. I got it back two weeks later in two pieces. It had gotten cold and become brittle and had a clean break at the neck joint taking the upper horn with it. THE TENSION OF THE STINGS BROKE THE BODY OF THE BASS!!!!!!!!!!! I hear the same thing will happen to wood basses if they get cold enough but I don't know from any first hand experience.

This would have to be extreme cold to do that. I'm thinking that whatever cargo compartment on an airplane it was wasn't pressurized or climate controlled.

Ibanez said they would send me a replacement and I asked for an SRX705. I hope I get it. I wouldn't mind another EDA, I'm just ready for a change.
  12. the only " downside " with ErgoDyne basses i can come up with is that they smell a little. Not that i give a rat's arse ofcourse, because i have a bass to make music ( or at least attempt to ). I do not have a bass so that i can hold it beneath my nostrals all day long. ;)

As for the straplocks.. The screws are huge ! We're not talking " american pickup-truck "-huge here, people.. we're talking about frickin' Godzilla-screws. If you want to use schaller straplocks you have to modify it a little. You have to make the screw's head a little smaller ( about 1 mm ) and you have to make the hole in the straplock about 0.01 mm larger ). What i always do next, is dip the screw's tip in industrial-strength glue and then put it in. No way in hell that it will come out unless i want it to. I also replace the foam " pads " ( between the strapholder and the bass ) with rubber ones.
  13. Another vote for the EDA905.

I have the fretless model. http://www.chrisbsmusic.com/iberfretbas.html

The EDA905 basses are very light, and very comfortable due to the way they sculpt the bodies. It has one magnetic pickup, and piezos in the bridge. The tone controls may confuse the average person: The magnetic pickup has a 2 band EQ with one tone knob; it boosts or cuts both bass and treble at the same time. The piezos' tone can get sort of brittle if you turn it up too high, but if you sit down and experiment with all the controls, you can get a wide variety of tones out of this bass, some of them very warm. It can give an almost Gibson EB-0 type deep tone to an almost Jaco type tone.
    The EDA905 is definitely worth a test drive.

Then, there's the BTB - much more traditional sounding, but an absolute killer B string. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=BTB405QM

Good luck whichever you choose.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Yep. They don't pressurize or heat the cargo bay, and it gets to be like -50 degrees F at 30,000 feet. That sucks about your bass dude, hope you get a new one soon.

I tried the BTB400 and liked it. The BTB405 string spacing was too narrow for me though, it felt like a guitar. And isn't that supposed to be the model with wider string spacing? Guess that's why I stay with 4-strings...

My SR800 is great, even though I tend to like wider necks. I leave it out on a guitar stand all the time in the heat and air conditioning, except when transporting it to gigs or practice. In 6 years I've never had a problem with temperature or humidity affecting it in any way. Set it up once, and the neck stays where you put it. But I wouldn't recommend anything lower than the 800 series in the SR line.
  15. Smersh

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks alot for the help, i tried one of the ergodyne basses at a local sam ash and i thought it was pretty good. I want to try alot of these models but they can be tough to find, so ive been calling different stores and stuff to find out who has what. WHen i find one, ill defintley let you know what model i chose.
  16. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    If you really want a nice Ibanez......

Look for a Roadstar II (model #RB850).
    {It looks like a Soundgear only a little thicker}

You could usually find them on E-bay for under $400.00.

I owned one for 8 years and I loved it.

I have included a pic of a Roadstar II bass for you.......
  17. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I say go EDB. I tried a four-banger at GC the other day, and man, it was a HOT motherplucker!! :bassist:

I don't think the fiver would be too radically different.
  18. Sorry about hijacking the thread, but on MF i was looking at an SR400. The grey is only $299, but black and vintage blue (the color i want) are $449. Any ideas why that would be?
  19. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

Because the grey ones aren't selling. If I were you I would jump on it. On second thought, if I were you I wouldn't buy an SR400 :D . I used to have one. It was really ehhh. Try an SRX500.