1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question about key signature/notes in notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 24, 2010.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm starting Ed Friedland's Building Walking Bass Lines book (no tabs - sweet! :bassist:) and have a question about key signature and how it impacts the piece.

Mind you I have rudimentary understanding of reading music - almost through book 1 of the Complete Bass Method (another Ed book!).

The first piece in the book for part one is written in Bb. So on the staff you've got the standard F-Clef symbol, a b (flat) symbol on the B line of the staff.

That means that all "B's" in the piece are played flat regardless of octave because the Bb major scale contains no natural B's right?

Also while this piece (12 bar blues) contain's no E's, if there were E's to be used here they would be flat as well since Bb scale has 2 flats (B & E)

Am I right here?

EDIT: NM - I read it wrong, there is only a single flat on the staff, this piece was written in F not Bb :)

2. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars

Keep up the work, it's a great book.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    chris, while i absolutely have seen examples of pieces written in a different key than what they really are for the reason you said, honestly, i consider it sloppy composing. i'd rather have the accidentals and be given the right key, and it avoids confusion imho, ymmv, pdq, stp, m-o-u-s-e.

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    You're absolutely right - I never write my own stuff that way. But others do... (and then they go: see it as a dorian :p -but Jim, please, don't post back anything about modes...)

Ehhhh....... ymmv? pdq? stp? m-o-u-s-e???? :meh:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    don't worry...i hardly ever think about modes. about the only time i do is on here, and then it's just to say, "don't worry about modes...use the chords" ;)