1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question about knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EriktheRed, Jul 18, 2014.

1. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Hi, folks

Getting ready to buy a new blacktop P-bass and I'm going to want to change out the knobs. What I want to know is, are knobs for Fenders good for both guitar and bass models?

I'm looking at this site here...

http://www.rockaudio.com/Guitar-Knobs_c_42.html

...and I'm guessing they are, but I wanna make sure because I don't see them specifically saying so anywhere.

:bassist:

2. Hi.

The instrument doesn't play a role in it, the style and the size of the potentiometer shaft does.

In the description on that site they list the shaft style, but for some reason claim on some of the models that their splined split shaft knobs work on both 1/4" and 6mm potentiometer shafts.
    That's not entirely true.

For the imperial, get the imperial, and for the metric, get the metric.

Regards
    Sam

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL

Thank you, sir. In light of your advice, I'm going to wait until I get the new bass and take it to a shop so I can make sure I get the right knobs rather than order them.

4. Hi.

You're welcome.

That's unfortunately IME the only way to ensure a good fit and function and to prevent the knobs from seizing up onto the splined shafts.

Regards
    Sam

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While I would wait for the bass to confirm the size/style of shafts on the control pots, I wouldn't shy away from ordering. The shaft style is pretty much self evident when you look at them and then all you need do is measure the shaft diameter to insure you get the right size knobs in the style you prefer.

I prefer skulls myself. :cool:

252.JPG 254.JPG

Precision101 likes this.