Quick question about PC recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Apr 3, 2005.

1. When recording through my Sansamp, I only get sound through the left channel. Recording with my computer mic, I get sound from both left and right, but using the line in and the DI, I only get sound in the left channel. Why is that?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Most likely because you have the channel the sansamp is plugged into set to stereo. Check it out, I had that problem until I set it to mono.

3. Hmm, then should I change that within the recording program or is it something linked to line-in and the computer in general?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    it's usually in the routing of the program - not the line in. there should be something in the track that says mono/stereo. i don't know too much abou this stuff, but i know that drove me nuts until i fiddled around enough to see that i could make the track i'm recording on mono or stereo. i don't do any computer recording and bought myself another 8 track recorder because of such issues. :)

5. Ahh, I see. I kind of alleviated the problem by converting the recorded track to mono afterwards. Can't seem to find the mono record option... Thanks a lot Joe!