1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick question about popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I've been slapping for a while, but I think I may be pulling to hard because my hand always ends up pretty far awa from the strings when Im done. It sounds pretty good, but it makes fast popping almost impossible. I've seen a "crab claw" style slap hand, but I dont know how to do it. They almost all seem likeits a motion coming down on the string and then back up, like a circle.

does anyone have a good video of how to precisely pop, or something about this "crab claw" hand style that I've seen around. Thanks guys!

Joe

P.S. sorry if I confused you, because this was rather confusing ;)

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
  3. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    I'm just now trying to learn how to slap and pop, and this is probably the most useful video I've ever seen.
    Thanks for the link!!!

4. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    not really "slap and pop" though...

I agree it is similar and a valid technique but.....

I understand that the slap sound is made by slapping the bass with the thumb joint and the motion is perpendicular to the bass. The pop sound is made by pulling the string away from the fretboard and then letting it spring back.

This guy is doing something different - he seems to be strumming the string with his thumb and index finger rather than slapping and pulling.

5. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    mothmonsterman, that video kicks. Thanks for the link!

6. That's definitely a cool technique.

Wish the guy wasn't breathing so loud. Sounds like Tony Soprano in there.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

+1

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

What we're seeing there seems to be the new trend in slap and pop play. I prefer a more "old school" approach to slap. (it sounds like you might too?) I think that is also what the OP is trying to describe. Maybe something more like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7630763524860008068&q=larry+graham&pl=true

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A good method book for slaping and popping that you should also look into is Tony Openhiem's, "Slap Bass."

12. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
  13. wheelerx88

wheelerx88

Mar 15, 2006
  14. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Just bend your finger enough so that the very tip of it does the popping. Practice doing that while keeping your thumb on the pickup closest to the fretboard so your hand doesnt move away, and instead of using the whole finger to pop the string, use only the very tip in a curved way.

15. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I am working through Tony Oppenheim's "slap it!" book which I expect is more "old school"....

Enjoyed the Larry Graham video...

and that Victor Wooten one - I prefer his take on doing the upstroke with the thumb and using both the 1st and 2nd finger to pluck with too.