1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question about string gauge and type for stoner/sludge/doom.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by saurion, Sep 27, 2019.

1. saurion

saurion

Mar 21, 2019
    Buenos Aires
    Hey everyone, I currently own a 2016 Squier Affinity PJ that still has the stock strings on (I think they're 40-100, not sure), but they're getting rusty and I'm not sure what to replace them with since it's my only bass for the foreseeable future and I would like it to be a vesatile as possible. I would like the following:
    • Deep grungy sound with lots of growl
    • Ability to tune in E standard and D standard/drop C with reasonable string tension
    I don't mind a somewhat floppy E string as long as it doesn't buzz much, what I wouldn't want is to put so much tension on the neck it ends up damaging it. I was thinking 45-105 or even 50-110 flatwounds and setting up the intonation in D# standard so I can tune up or down without losing much intonation. Is this feasible/reasonable?

Thanks everyone!

oZZma likes this.
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I've put classic La Bella DTFs in standard gauges on my P and detuned that to BEAD - it worked great in my opinion (records of that in my signature link). But that's because these strings are bridge cables in standard tuning, can't play them. So I say your plan is feasible if you can find the right strings - I would take some that have a certain stiffness to them. Unfortunately, I can't help you there if you want to go with round wounds. Something with a hex core, definitely.

saurion likes this.
  3. saurion

saurion

Mar 21, 2019
    Buenos Aires
    Im actually thinking of going with flats, if I can find some. Im in Argentina and the options are a lot more limited.

4. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Don't go with La Bella flats... a .105 has a B string? Okay... they only feel 'higher' tension because they're not very flexible due to the way flatwounds are constructed. Rounds and flats in the same gauge by the same company are normally very similar tension.

If I were you OP, Rotosound Nickels, GHS Boomers or if you have the cash, DR Lo Riders in 50-110 gauge.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    As your fellow countryman @Hammerfield recently informed us, Magma has widened their product palette in the last year or so and now offers tapewounds and flatwounds too:
    Magma Strings
    In case those are easier to get for you, and you feel like being our guinea pig ;), you might try either detuning the heaviest 4-string, BE200SUF set (50-70-90-110) or up-tuning (but with the following option I'd avoid standard EADG, and opt for D standard and using a capo instead, when needed) 4/5ths of the lightest 5-string set, the BE145SUF (60-75-95-120 and discard the 40). Third Magma flat option, see if you can order singles and make a custom set of your own.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    saurion likes this.
  6. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    Try DAddario chromes. Higher tension strings, feel just as good at drop C as they do in standard.

7. saurion

saurion

Mar 21, 2019
    Buenos Aires
    The 50-110 Magma set is definitely on my shortlist. Would the tension be OK for EADG? I don't want to risk my neck/headstock.

What gauge would you recommend for my use case?

Thanks for the input guys!

8. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    [QUOTE="What gauge would you recommend for my use case?[/QUOTE]

I use the Pink packaged ones in light gauge.

saurion likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    It will be high, especially on the D, but not enough to cause damage: just make sure the neck is straight and action low (or, as straight and low that the strings don't "fry" too much at drop C).

saurion likes this.
  10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    If you want a versatile bass with lots of growl flatwounds are not suitable. Roundwounds, preferably steels, will have the most growl.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021