Quick question about wireless's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Apr 7, 2004.

1. My buddy who is a guitarist said that I could use his wireless for the show i'm playing on Friday.

Does it make a difference if I use a bass with it, because i've been told you can buy seperate ones for basses and guitars.

Will I ruin it if I use it because of the low frequency?

Any help on thi would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You won't ruin it, no worries.

It might not carry anything below A sufficiently, though. It's rather common with a lowest transmitted frequency of 50 Hz. Or even higher!
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    No difference what so ever :)
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You won't damage it, but it will likely suck all of the balls out of your sound. Most wireless units have a frequency cutoff around 50hz or so, which means that you will loose alot of the low end "beef" of your sound, especially with the lower notes. Most bassists don't use them precisely for this reason.

There are a few "bass-specific" wirelesses on the market that claim to be OK down to 30hz. If you want to use a wireless, those are the ones you should look for.
  5. I often wonder when I hear questions like this if the people answering have had any real experience with wireless units. There is no difference in any guitar/bass/instrument units that I have personally checked out. Most all of the units I've seen or used function from 20Hz-20kHz on the transmitter. Keep in mind that I'm talking about "middle of the road" UHF units, not inexpensive junk. Inexpensive guitar/bass units are often VHF and can have limited bandwidth transmission capabilities. VHF is also better suited to "fixed" instalations and somewhat out-dated. You'll deffinitely want a UHF unit. You can expect to pay $300-$600 (new) for something "gig-worthy".

If you're looking for a good functioning starter unit I would suggest the Shure UT Series UHF unit. I used one (the older version) for three years of heavy gigging and only ever rarely ran into any trouble. I'm currently using the Shure ULX/S Digital Wireless unit which is incredible. It has programable channels so that I can "lock in" interference free bandwidth no matter where I'm playing. I can store settings for different venues that I play frequently, etc... I have been very satisfied with the performance of both the products I listed.
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    As others have mentioned, it's not uncommon for wireless systems to have some low end roll off, largely to reduce handling and clothing noise. For bass, you would probably want to be able to defeat that feature if it is included in the system.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

FYI: I just pulled some quick stats:

The Shure UT14 that you recommend has a frequency range of 50hz to 15khz, per the Shure web site. Totally unnacceptible for bass application, IMO.

The ULXS model you use is better, but still only 25 to 15khz, not the 20 to 20khz you claim.

Other wirelesses that are inquired upon in this forum fairly often:

Carvin Guitar Wireless U7000GT (UHF): 50 to 15khz

Samson Airline Guitar Wireless: 50 to 15 khz

Nady UHF-10: 50 to 15khz

Audio-Technica 601 (UHF) 50 to 15 khz

Each TOTALLY unacceptible for bass guitar use at 50hz, IMO.
  8. Just stating from memory was all. After reviewing my product literature I see that you are indeed correct. I'll be a little more thorough next time. I do recall the specs of many higher priced units being similar to that of the ULX/S though which is why I prefaced my comment with-

I suppose I may have been a little "over-simplistic". Once again, if I'm going to be critical I should probably be specific.

9. Bolic

Apr 4, 2002
    Just checked the shure site on the ut14 uhf model and the pdf manual says the audio frequency response is 20 to 16000 Hz,
    also says the frequency range is 596 to 862 Mhz.
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    DO you plan to be running around a 50 foot stage much? :confused:
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats exactly what I do.... well maybe not quite 50 ft but I still get tangled in cables.

Check out the Sennheiser Digital 1000 series system. I believe the actual model for instruments is the 1092. I believe it is flat from 30Hz to something high, at least 15kHz.

I own it and its great. My only complaint is that the batery doenst last long. Its only good for 2-3 shows but I like to change it after every show just to be safe. I dont bring it to practices either.

Its based off of the X-wire digital wireless technology which you will find a lot of good talk about on these boards.

Basically, this is whats going on.

Your bass puts out a lot of information in its signal. You have the tone which is built out of the fundamental and other frequencies and the dynamics. With a standard wireless system the transmiter thats plugged into your bass compresses the dynamics down to make the signal easier to transport through the air as a radio signal. The reciever then takes the heavily compressed signal and "reverse compresses" or "expands" it by estimating what the origional signal looked like. This is called companding. Basically you get signal distortion and not quite right dynamics. Its ok forthe most part, but not great and has a cut off frequency response.

The Sennheiser Digital 1000 series was designed based off of the X-Wire plans which were purchased when they went out of buisness. What it does is it converts the analog signal comming from your bass into a digital signal without changing the information in much the same way as your computer records sound, and the reciever converts it back to analog audio in much the same way a CD player converts the signal from a disc to the amplifier and speakers. Its the same signal going into the system as comes out.

With a good rechargeable batery it would be the ultimate system.

12. I've got an older rack mount Samson Concert that I've used for years. It does take something away from the tone but I think it is more like compression and not necessarily frequency response. When I switch back to a cord it's like I get an extra kick in the butt.
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use the Sure UT system as reccomended by many here at talkbass. When I first got it I A/B'd it against my guitar cable and the only difference was the sure UT carried the high end a little better. No drop in lows at all to my ears.
  14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have the shure UT as well, and I can't hear any difference in low frequency rolloff either. It has not been a victim of interference, or crackeling. I have heard people complain about the specs, but not real life use. It works well for me, and I got it for a steal.