1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question about wiring:

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Siegy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    I recently discovered that the wiseguy that soldered in my new pups soldered the + from the pup to the ground, and the ground from the pup to the +. He knows little to nothing about guitars and I only had him do it because I thought it was a simple job and he had a soldering iron at the ready. Anyway, the pups make a decent sound, but that's probably because I'm doing heavy EQing on my amp. So I pose you this query: Will I be able to notice a significant difference when I switch the wiring? I'm fairly busy right now with different things so I want to know if it's going to pay off well to take the time to find an iron and do it myself.

Thanks guys.

2. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    If all the pickups are wired the same way you won't notice any difference if you change it. The pickups don't care what way they're wired - but if they're different (eg one of them has the + wired to ground, and one has the ground wired to ground) they'll be out of phase and the tone will be a bunch thinner when both are on.

Steve