1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Question... Eden WT550 / WT405 / GB SMax 12.0 / MB F500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWBass, Jun 2, 2012.

1. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    I'll be brief, unlike my other threads. And yes, this is brief for me...hehe.

* Looking for a new head.
    * Typical 500w @ 4 range ( would like 2 ohms, with 500 plus, custom cab set is 4 8 ohm drivers total.)
    * I play about 50-60% regular groove fingerstyle, the rest is choppy / quick / staccato fingerstyle with a lot of left hand hammer fretting and a lot of slap / tap.
    * The bass is a 30" short scale, dual single coils in humbucker proximaty, closer to the bridge pickup position.

My Original Short List...

AI Clarus, EA Micro , GK MB500 MBF500, Aguilar TH500, Genz Benz S 6.0, SMax 12.0, Mesa Walkabout, Eden WTX500 / WT550.

I have recently put all of these through the paces, except The GK MB Fusion only, the GB SMax, and the Edens.

I'll save the details, there in another thread, but none have fit the bill yet, but all phenominal in their rhelms.

New Short List: Eden WT405 , Eden WT550 , Genz SMax 12.0, and the MB F500 (well I would need two, one for each cab of this...)

Quick Notes...

* The EA was very articulate and had great mids.
    *The Genz has a wonderful slap tone, but the bottom is lacking where I need it.
    * The Walkabout is my favorite of the bunch. It has insane balls compared to any of the others. Not a shocker to me, i like the power supply. Problem is the walkabout is just not a right fit for the amount of choppy / percussive work I do.

The edens intrique me the most. I have owned an Eden Metro in the past, an Eden Highwayman, Navigator, and WT800B. I kept goin back i guess.
    They intrigue me because they have that power supply that just seems more ballsy to me no matter how many times I try the micros, but they are still fairly small.

problem is that I have never played through the Eden solid State and am curious if it would be more my style or less.

WT550 has that classic eq i have known, and a tad more power, but more weight, which is ok.
    WT405 has the compressor, the dynamic boost, but a more limited eq. (Although my bass has lo mid at 200 and hi mid at 800, with the 405 i'd have mid control at 200, 550, 800, and 2.2k, so thats some flex.)

Just looking for advice and ideas. Try to read my playing style and your experience, and put two and two together.

I appreciate it. You guys are the best.

Regards

Marc W

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa M6 carbine.

3. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    Great amp, demoed it multiple times. Just not the price/tone/form factor I am shooting for.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    M3???

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Eden, from what you are saying.
    They are great quality, pre-amps, DI.
    I run a WT-400, like it but wish it had more