Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick question for Michael...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Obsdian, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Michael, I was just wondering what you use for a tuner? You have a million different tunings that covers a wide spectrum of pitch.

2. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I'm not Manring but I don't think he has to use a tuner. When your doing alternate tunings you can use other notes on the neck as refrence points or strum cords and tune from there.

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Although tuning by ear is sometimes nice, I usually use a tuner. I have several that I like including the Intellitouch. Usually on stage I use a Boss TU-12H. It's relatively fast and easy to see in all kinds of light (or lack thereof!).

4. Thanks! I just got my first fretless today, it's a beauty! I was looking for a tuner to help with my intonation.

P.S.: Do you have any comments for somebaody that just started fretless today?

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Congratulations on starting to play fretless! It's a beautiful instrument and I think you'll get a lot out of it. In terms of advice -- be patient. Try to learn to enjoy the slow process of listening deeply and carefully building your abilities. Always look for ways to test your intonation and give yourself the opportunity to improve. And of course, have fun!