1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question for short/medium scale owners

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Jan 7, 2018.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Do you tend to go up in gauge for your strings? That is to say, if you would use say, .39-.90 on a regular scale instrument, would you use maybe a .50-105 set on a short scale? If not, why? Thanks.

gsgbass likes this.
  2. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I use D'Addario ETB92M Nylon Tapewounds, Medium Scales on a Short Scale Gibson SG Std. (.50, .65, .85, .105). The gauges on the D, A, and E, are the exact nut cuts from Gibson. The G is the only difference from the cut in the nut for it. It's cut for a .45 G. The .50 G is a close enough fit, and causes no problem.
    The reason is use Medium Scale, in place of Short Scale on the 30.5" SG Std., the Babicz Bridge on it sets the Short Scale strings down lower. This brings the silks down lower into the nut. The Medium Scales being longer, has the silks up higher from the nut, and closer to the winding peg. It works out fine. SG Std.'s with the older 3-point bridge, do fine with the Short Scale strings.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    There's a specific reason I'm asking this: I'm looking to get a set of Labella's for my Eastwood Hofner Club bass copy. I have a set of Labella's 760FM on a P bass and they're great on that bass.

Although the Club bass is a short scale (30.5"), it requires medium scale strings and my usual gauge of (roundwound) strings is 50-105. Bassstringsonline.com has the Hofner flatwound set at both .039 & .50, so I wondered if I should stick with the gauge that I'm familiar with, or go a little lighter because of the shorter scale length. I haven't owned a short scale bass since I was a kid, so I have basically no experience with what would work best on an instrument like this.

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Well I feel like buying stuff, so I think I'm gonna go with the lighter gauge ones and just hope that with the shorter scale of this bass, that they feel stiff enough for me to use (I hate floppy strings). If not, I guess I'll throw them up here in the classifieds and try to move them along.

I'm still interested in hearing everybody's thoughts though, so out with them already! ;)

5. alder

alder Banned

Feb 17, 2012
    I use 50-105s on everything from 30" to 34"

any lighter than 105 is going to be sloppy on a 30"

for a 0.090 0.075 0.060 0.040 set, I calculate only 129 pounds of tension

that could also lead to neck issues like excessive back bow, which is uncorrectable if it is a 'skunk stripe'

you'll be wasting your money

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    ^that's the kind of info I was waiting for. Thanks!

7. I haven't found that at all on shorties.

I've used all kinds of strings on my shorties and there was never an issue with excessive back bow. Any relief issues on my 'skunk stripe' necks could be adjusted really easy (truss rod).

The only strings I ever put on a shorty that were a tad 'sloppy" were La Bella White Coppers. And those are "bigger" diameter than stock.

I've had 40/95 rounds on a couple of shorties and they weren't "sloppy".

Right now I've got La Bella Low Tension Flats on my Mikro. No back bow. No slop.

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    What gauge do you tend to use on your regular scale length (34") basses?

9. I have but one longscale currently. I usually stay around 45/105.

Right now it's got GHS Pressurewounds on it. (44/102) But they're only on there until the La Bella LTF's I ordered arrive.

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Nice.

So you did go up in gauge for the regular scale... Can you feel a big difference in the way the strings feel?

11. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    So I tried to order a pack of the 50-100 Labellas Hofner set from bassstringsonline but they're all sold out... I sent an email about the lighter gauge as well but I suspect that those ones are probably out of stock as well.

What other flatwound strings fit into those tiny string holes on these basses? I clipped and tried to force in an old set of Chromes but unless I can somehow machine them down to size, there's no way they're going to work.

On a secondary note, is it just the holes tha are small, or are the tuners themselves a non-standard size? Is there an easily found replacement for them so that I can use a wider variety of strings?

12. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    When I bought my Hofner, it was strung with long scale rounds (cut down to size), and they fit through the tuner holes. I would think most medium scale strings will be narrow enough at the taper to fit. (Is that true, @SLaPiNFuNK?) GHS Precision Flats and D'Addario Chromes both come in medium scale (I know I've heard of people using Chromes on Hofners).

13. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    You have to use medium scale strings on a Hofner if I'm not mistaken.

fretlessguy likes this.
  14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yes, I know. I mentioned that in post #3. Thanks, though. :thumbsup:

15. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I actually was talking to the guy who just posted ahead of me who said "I would think most medium scale would fit".

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    oh, my bad! :facepalm:

17. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Right, the string needs to be a medium scale length; I was referring to the end of the string that fits through the tuner.

blue4 likes this.
  18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Chromes are pretty cheap locally... I didn't like them on my Precision but maybe they'll be alright on the Hofner copy. I'll see if I can find some medium scale ones while I wait for @SLaPiNFuNK to get the Labellas re-stocked.

@fermata, do you know about the tuners? Can aftermarket ones fit the existing holes without modification?

19. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    The only aftermarket tuners I know of are these: Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite (97-18 Series) 3+3 Tuners | stewmac.com
    But they still have a small hole, so I don't think anything would be gained by switching tuners. Check with Jason at BSO about which strings (other than the La Bellas--and Thomastiks!) will fit, and you won't have to order anything blind.

20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    My quick answer would be "No". For the most part, I tend to use strings in the 45/50-100/105 range on pretty much all my basses - regardless of the length of string they need. On short scale basses that take short scale strings, I have experimented with lighter gauges, but... frankly? Not impressed. To be fair, I do prefer fairly high tension/stiff strings, so that's probably the reason the lighter gauge strings didn't stay around. And, I haven't gone to really heavy gauges because I don't do alternate tunings, and "standard" gauges are high tension/stiff enough for EADG...;)