1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Question for Squier Mustang Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by felis, Mar 27, 2015.

1. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Does this bass have a fretboard - a glued on separate piece of wood fretboard?

I've never actually seen one of these - just pictures.
    But from the picture, it looks like it doesn't.
    Not sure if it really matters all that much.

I recently bought and returned a Bronco that I
    was going to mod. I was surprised to see that it didn't have a fretboard.
    The frets were slotted into the solid maple neck.
    Didn't have a real good feeling about, but it's the first bass I've seen
    like that, and don't know if it's common, or if there are any negatives about it.
    Anyways - just curious.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    funny - I think I posted on your Bronco thread too.

I just picked up a used Squier VM Mustang (black body, maple neck) and it has a one-piece neck. A quick tweak of the truss rod, bridge saddles and intonation and she's all set. Sounds great, plays great, construction is really good. The fret ends are kinda sharp, so I'm thinking about maybe getting some tools from StewMac and teaching myself how to do fret work. The original purpose of this bass was to do a Bill Wyman thing, so if I totally blow it on the frets I'll just rip em out! Always wanted to de-fret a bass anyway.

Anyhoo... pics!

IMAG0882. IMAG0881.

3. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Thanks for the reply and pics. I was afraid the post would sink without a response.
    I've been keeping an eye out for one of these, but I've never seen one locally, nor actually gotten my hands on one.
    The ones I've seen online are usually snapped up before I decide if I want to act on it or not.
    At any rate, I think I've probably got enough basses right now - ha ha.

Edit: just scanned for your post in that other thread. Seems like you were considering the Bronco and went for the VM Mustang when it came up.
    If I may ask, where did you find it? They don't seem to come up very often.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    CL. It's really busy in Minneapolis, so just about everything pops up here from time to time. Doesn't hurt that I check it 15 times a day.