Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick question for you long time players..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SilverELEX, Oct 31, 2003.

1. SilverELEX

SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I hope im posting in the right forum. Here goes. I was recently talking to someone, and he mentioned that I should de-tune my bass after each time I play it to save the strings. OK, now here is my real question. Isnt this damaging to the neck as far as bowing goes, with the constant tuning and detuning?

Jason

2. seems like that would do more damage to the strings as well...unless i'm being completely ignorant, i'd say the guy you were talking to is wrong.

3. Yes, it can damage the neck, or cause it to bow.

Consider the source and tell him he needs to learn more before he tries to teach others what is right.

Detuning is only required when a bass is being shipped or stored for a long period of time.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Tell your source to stop by TB... ;)

It can benefit from slackening the strings if you are storing it in a dry place for a long period of time. But in all honesty i wouldnt do it on a regular basis.

Stay in tune easier once you have the tension up and set.

:D:D

Merls

5. I detune my "spare" bass down a 5th (B is at F#, E is at B, etc.). This is the bass I take on the road to use just in case my normal bass has a serious problem and is unusable.

My normal bass I keep in tune, and I try to protect it as much as possible from temperature variations.

--joe

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually according to "Grasshopper" and the rest of the crew from Basscentral a bass does not need to be detuned for shipping!! I bought my Roscoe from there than checked it into 20 hours of international Travel with the strings still tuned to pitch and it came out of the belly of the plane in the same perfect condition that it went in.
    Personally i think that detuning the strings is a rather silly idea. When you really think about it what is the natural state of a bass???? It is made to have tension on the neck, if you detune your strings then the neck moves. The whole purpose of setting your bass up is to have the required bow in the neck for the tension of the strings. A neck will not hold the required shape without the string tension on it. So my basic Rant is that the natural state of a bass is tuned to pitch.
    As always IMO.