Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Question From a Sort Of New Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kat_Mia, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I play double bass (yep, been to double bass forums) and I've played fretless BG for 3 years. Never really got on with frets but recently srsted playing one for tabs etc (never read many tabs before).

I've also wanted a 5 string BG or UB for a while.

Dilemma: I've been offered a 5 string stagg fretted bass for £100 by a close friend. Fab quality, black in colour.

Yes or no? :help:

My fretless is a stagg 4 string, I like it (I've heard people really put stagg down) and it suits me for the playing I do.

Can I have a few opinions please? A few people have said yes, go for it, others have said, yes if you've got the money, others have said hmmm and not much else! I get paid end of month and he said he will hold back advertising it until I have made a decision!

:help:

2. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Play the 5er, if you like it's sound, feel, etc, buy it!! If not, hold out for one you like.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah man if it suits your needs and you like the feel/sound then there is no reason to get it. Especially for that price.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Fixed it for ya :D

5. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Teehee! Cheers guys! :D

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hey no ofense, but you might want to play that bass through your amp to see if it sounds right, behringer is not a really good option for amps (just the head), i own an ultrabass bx1200 and it sux hard for low deep tones.

7. If you're not sure whether or not you want to buy something, the best person to listen to is yourself, since you're gonna be using it anyway. In my opinion, this holds for basses more than for amps and effects. Just remember that B strings will ring if you don't hold them somehow...most people use their thumb or pinky on their right hand. Anywho, yeah just try it out, and if you like it take it (ahem..that's a pretty good price too).

By the way...Muse rocks :D

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thats weird i have MIM jazz V and the b string never rings even though i have a veryhard and agresive finger plucking, not even when i slap.

9. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Next on my list is a better amp. I don't tend to use mine, I borrow my friends or when I do musicals, I often go through the PA system. Yep, Muse rock, can't agree more. Trying speed up Hysteria, LOL! I can only play it about half the speed but a friend of mine manged to drum it out on the double bass a while back which sounded bizarre!

10. I need a new amp too, in fact I use a 15 watter as well...*turns red*...and Hysteria is definitely one of my favorites.

Do you mean your drummer used a drum stick on your bass? I know Les Claypool played a one string bass with a drumstick for one of his songs, Whamola (that was with his Frog Brigade - I don't even know how many bands he has thrown together!)

11. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    No sorry I meant 'drumed out' as in played. Don't know where drumed out came from. :rollno:

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i find hysteria really easy to play, come on it has loads of open notes, but i love the way it sounds with some lyte distortion.