Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick question from dumb guy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GDJ, Aug 27, 2002.

1. GDJ

GDJ

Jun 15, 2002
    hey.

i was wondering if it was possible to run your bass directly into the poweramp without a preamp.

2. You sure? If the bass were active and had an onboard pre, it might work... :confused:

3. If the actives are hot enough you can. The preamp in my '79 Kramer would do it.

4. That's what I thought... I can plug a set of headphones into my LB75 if I need to practice silently, so it would seem to have enough power to drive an amp.

5. GDJ

GDJ

Jun 15, 2002
    im looking at pluging in my upright without having to morph the sound with a preamp. can i plug the pickup into the poweramp and the poweramp into the speaker and get sound?

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Probably not. The pickup's output won't be loud enough. That's part of the purpose of a preamp, to make the signal loud enough to drive a poweramp. Some direct boxes can boost the signal to the right level, like the Avalon U5. Something like that is your best bet if you want a pure, unaltered sound, but you'll miss out on room EQ and other stuff you might need.

Isn't there a whole other forum for upright bass?

7. GDJ

GDJ

Jun 15, 2002
    thanks Golem II.

there is a upright bass forum but if i want i question answered i better post it in a place where people will see it. i think im just gonna bite the bullet and buy a preamp. any suggestions for natural tone?

8. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    My understanding is that at long as the preamp has at least 1 volt of output, it should be able to drive most power amps.

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The Kern IP-777 has a lo-z input for piezo pickups, correct?