1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question: input jack punched through hollowbody?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by strummer21, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I am in the process of possibly buying a semi hollowbody Ibanez. I haven't seen it in person yet but the input jack was punched through when the bass was dropped at some point. The electronics work fine and it is just cosmetic, but how hard is it to fix it up so the cracked hole around the jack looks ok? I would prefer to repair it myself. Can I put a football shaped jack plate on it to make it more secure?
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    UWP

We can guess all day, but a pic will help.

3. Sorry, I don't have a picture. I guess I'm just looking for info so I can evaluate how much it's worth when I go to see it.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    [​IMG]

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    It's a complete guess about the repair. In my town it will have a range of $25 up to $1000. I am sure that this range helps you very little.

If the luthiers around here know more, they are able to help more.

A tiny punch-through could be covered with a football jack. A medium one would be covered with a custom made plate. A large one will require further attention.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yep, a cover plate is going to be the most noninvasive fix

7. I just bought the bass, the jack is punched pretty much straight thru so I can just put an oval football cover plate over the hole and it will have better support and be fine.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yay, and now all is well with the world ;)

Post some pics.......

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    How about a chrome or plastic washer instead? The oval football is going to look weird without screws and they are going to be much more permanent than just a simple washer over the area...