Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick question on 6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Oct 15, 2000.

1. On a 6 string bass, is the 6th string, added from a 5 string, a lower end string or higher end?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You can go either way, but I believe that it is most common to add the high "C".

3. Thanks. what about on 7 strings. are they both higher?

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I think it depends on the type of music you are playing, but I would prefer to have a lower F# string.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Conklin Groove Tools 7's ship strung BEADGCF.

6. I guess my last question is, would it be possible to get a 6 string with the low F#?

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm not sure if any 6 strings come with that tuning, but there is no reason why one couldn't be strung that way. I have actually been thinking about doing that myself.

8. alright cool, thank you very much, i appreciate your help.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Can a bass deliver an adequate timbre from a low F#? Won't it just be a dissonant boom? I have heard a lot of low B's that just sound low and not "B" at all, how would it be with an F#? And wouldn't the string require a FAT gauge?

10. You need a speaker with pretty low frequency to get that low F#.. I´ve never played a bass with a F# but I think the gauge is somewhere around 160 - 170.... HUGE! :D

and if you would add a low F# on a 6 string I believe you´d have to buy a custom nut.. or chop a part out of it... :)

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    About that F# , The minimum gauge would be 150, and you need a subwoofer to properly reproduce it. F# is around the 26Hz frequency, wich is very low , and vaguely noticeable for the human ear.

Many people complain about Floppy B Strings...
    can you say... "WALLOW Floppy F#"
    :)

12. the person on this board that probly knows the most about low f# is jt. He uses the low f# on a few of his 7's and i think he has an f# on his 8

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Try searching this whole board for "F#". I think you'll find some of Mr. Turner's comments (among which is he uses what amounts to a PA to reproduce this frequency).