1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

quick question on 6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Oct 15, 2000.

1. On a 6 string bass, is the 6th string, added from a 5 string, a lower end string or higher end?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You can go either way, but I believe that it is most common to add the high "C".

3. Thanks. what about on 7 strings. are they both higher?

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I think it depends on the type of music you are playing, but I would prefer to have a lower F# string.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Conklin Groove Tools 7's ship strung BEADGCF.

6. I guess my last question is, would it be possible to get a 6 string with the low F#?

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm not sure if any 6 strings come with that tuning, but there is no reason why one couldn't be strung that way. I have actually been thinking about doing that myself.

8. alright cool, thank you very much, i appreciate your help.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Can a bass deliver an adequate timbre from a low F#? Won't it just be a dissonant boom? I have heard a lot of low B's that just sound low and not "B" at all, how would it be with an F#? And wouldn't the string require a FAT gauge?

10. You need a speaker with pretty low frequency to get that low F#.. I´ve never played a bass with a F# but I think the gauge is somewhere around 160 - 170.... HUGE! :D

and if you would add a low F# on a 6 string I believe you´d have to buy a custom nut.. or chop a part out of it... :)

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    About that F# , The minimum gauge would be 150, and you need a subwoofer to properly reproduce it. F# is around the 26Hz frequency, wich is very low , and vaguely noticeable for the human ear.

Many people complain about Floppy B Strings...
    can you say... "WALLOW Floppy F#"
    :)

12. the person on this board that probly knows the most about low f# is jt. He uses the low f# on a few of his 7's and i think he has an f# on his 8

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Try searching this whole board for "F#". I think you'll find some of Mr. Turner's comments (among which is he uses what amounts to a PA to reproduce this frequency).