1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question on flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shoehorn, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Hi

I'm gonna go the store in a day or two to pick up some flatwounds but I wanted to ask a quick question about 'em. I'm aware that they have a notably more mellow, dark tone but both my bass and amp have a particularly bright tone. One of the reasons I'm interested in trying them out is in hopes of curbing that bright tone a bit. Am I correct in thinking that it would work or will it not have that noticeble effect?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    LaBella deep talkin' Flats, Thomastik Jazz flats, Fender flats And Sit flats will give a deeper mellower tone Kind of motown ish thing depending on how you set your tone ect.

3. The flats will certainly get you heading in the mellow direction. I'd go with the Fenders, although I also use D'Addario Chromes as well.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't think you could go wrong with Fender Flats or Chromes. Just like many things, flats will take some time to get used to, especially if you don't fall in love with them immediately. Give them a couple of months, and if you still don't like them, change them back to your regularly scheduled strings. Then switch back after a couple months, you might be pleasantly surprised with another go.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I recommend either the TI's or the Labellas. The TI's have lower tension so beware. I still don't understand how people recommend Chromes for people who want to tame bright. They are brighter than any other flats I've played, and while I understand that it may take a while for them to break in, to me with flats you shouldn't have to do that. I like instant gratification when it comes to flats.

6. Thanks for the advice, I still haven't had the chance to pick any strings up being bogged down by work. I think I'll try the labellas or the fenders depending on whats in stock or easier to order in.