Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick question: Peavey 410TX dimensions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Hi there,

a quick question: are the dimensions of an older Peavey 410TX cabinet the same as the newer Peavey 410TVX cabs?

I already have a 410TVX and I'm looking for a 2nd one, but I found this good deal on a 2nd hand 410TX (which is about the same thing as the newer TVX, not?)

2. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    im pretty sure the only difference is the older cabs are carpeted.

Jason Smith

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    TX cabs, I do believe, are rear ported.

TXF cabs are identical to TVX cabs, both are front ported...except the TXF are carpet covered and the TVX are tolex.

4. So in chronological order it is:
    TX - TXF - TVX? right?

What's the sonic differences between front and rear-ported?

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've never owned the TX line. I've owned a 412 TVX and it was awesome...I still own the 410 TXF and it too is awesome.

I am not sure about the rear ported TX...you would really need to play through it to tell for sure. I don't think that anyone really hears what comes out the port. My guess is that the porting has more to do with sub-sonic frequencies and that porting is more a matter of making the speaker cab more efficient than the actual tone of it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but I do believe porting is done to balance out cone excursion. If there were no back on the cab for instance...the speakers would not work efficiently. Similar to what a muffler does on a car. No back pressure on the engiine and the engine loses power. Same with speakers. So, the porting is done to make the cab and speakers as powerful as they can be.

Personally I don't think rear or front porting makes a huge difference in tone. Check one out in person if you can.

6. I'll test the cab for sure...

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    TX is shorter, but should be the same width if you're thinking about stacking them.

8. The TVX is a couple inches deeper than the TX so the TX would stack on top just fine.

9. Thanks guys,
    I decided that I'm not gonna buy that TX cabinet... I'd like to have two TVX cabinets; hopefully I find another one on the 2nd hand market over here.