Quick question please: Genz 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lil nelson, Nov 30, 2014.

1. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    300 watts at 8
    600 watts at 4.
    When I plug in a 8ohm cab the amp is 300 watts
    When I plug in a 4 ohm .......600 watts.
    Question: when I plug in 2-8 ohm cabs,(4ohm load) is it 300 watts to each cab,L and R side, or 600 watts to both cabs??
    Am I thinking about this as Left and Right channel like a conventional amp, or is this GB a "mono block"
    Type amp?
    Thanks

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once...

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    with 2 8-Ohm cabinets in parallel the amp is making 600W and delivering half (300W) to each.

3. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    That's what I thought, so therefore:
    Plugging in one 4 ohm cab will only get 300 total. I can't get 600 watts to a single 4 ohm cab.

4. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    No, that is not correct.
    The amp makes 600W into 4 Ohms and it doesn't know or care how that 4 Ohm load is configured:
    1 4-Ohm cab or 2 8-Ohm cabs in parallel is the same.

The amp is perfectly happy to deliver 600W to 1 4-Ohm cabinet -- which may not be happy to receive it.

5. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    This may be where the confusion starts.
    First - it is a mono amp - there is no "Left and Right" channel.
    Even in a stereo amplifier (which this is not) the rated power is almost always the sum of the channels (makes it look bigger ;-) )

This is a fuzzy area with some overlap, but generally, speaker surface area trumps power.
    Generally, 300W total into 2 cabs (150W each) will be louder than 300W into a single speaker, all other things being equal, which they rarely are...

Put another way - 600W total into 2 cabs will be a LOT louder than 300W into one...

6. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks I got it now. I don't understand how, but I know I have enough power to drive a 500 watt 4 ohm cab.

I don't see how it can drive 600 watts to one side at 4 ohms, when 2-8 ohm cabs (4 ohm) will only get 300.
    I thought 600 watts at 4 ohms would mean 600 watts and didn't matter how the amp sees the 4 ohm load.
    Anyway man Thanks :)

7. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    There are no sides...

Yes, that is correct.

The delivered power is divided (split) into the connected loads.
    It makes less power into 8 Ohms.

8. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm sure this analogy has been used before...
    It's like the faucet on the side of your house.
    1 skinny hose - you can get only just so much water delivered. (1 8-Ohm load)
    2 skinny hoses - you can deliver twice as much total, but each hose gets half. (2 8-Ohm loads in parallel = 4 Ohm)
    1 fat hose - you can deliver a bunch of water. In fact, as much as 2 skinny hoses. But no more, 'cause that's all you've got. (1 4-Ohm load)

9. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    Lol Thanks man. I get it!

I guess I'm still thinking about R and L channels.
    One last Q. please, you've been very nice and answers my "stupid" questions :)
    What will I get in wattage if I jacked out one port on the back of the amp and then Daisy chained to another cab, both 8 ohms cabs?
    Would the amp produce 600 watt @ 4 ohms, and would that still be 300 per cab?
    Thanks man :)

10. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    They are not stupid questions - but they are a little basic and have been answered a lot of times. Search is your friend, but start with the amp forum 'stickies' which are the threads that always appear at the top of the forum listing. Lots of good information there...

Yes and Yes. Iff both cabs are 8-Ohm cabs.
    That is in fact a parallel connection.
    So it makes no difference if you plug two cabs into the back of the amp, or one cab into another that is already connected - it's all parallel. The impedance is halved and both attached cabs divide the power. So when you think about it, this is why it's almost always best to have cabs that are matched or at least approximately so, in power-handling.

For completeness - there is such a thing as a serial connection. It is rare and requires specially wired cables. And a good reason...

11. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    Got it.
    Serial wired. You would have to have both cabs to make a complete circuit.