quick question re: line out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spots, Jan 5, 2005.

1. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I'm playing at school friday which is also the day I get my GK 400RB IV in the mail. I just learned that the whole band is going straight to the PA and I was wondering if it would be ok to bring the head but only use its line out. I wouldnt be plugging the head into a cab or anything. Would that be possible or could I damage my head that way?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    No Problemo.

Go fer it.

Just plug it into a mixer line line input.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Depends on the amp, actually. Read the owner's manual and find out. You should be able to read it online before Fri.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You probably can, but you will not be able to hear yourself very well. Bring your cab.
  5. I'd be careful with it, some amps can handle it and some can't. If you do it, make sure you have the master volume all the way down.

The best idea would probably be to bring your cab and use that for your stage sound and send the line out to the PA for the FOH sound.
  6. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    the GK 400 rbi IV should be able handle no speaker loads fine. my RB III can, according to the instructions. In any case, like someone said, u can just turn the master volume all the way down and it wont affect the line out signal at all
  7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    If you must go into the PA without being able to use a cab, why not just bring a DI box?? It sure beats having to lug an amp around just to use the line out......
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes it will work IF they have a channel on the snake that will accept your 1/4 line out plug OR if you have an XLR direct out from your head AND if they have a channel on the board free AND if the PA speakers can handle the bass guitar signal AND if the poweramp for the PA is powerful enough to do it.

But, all this may not fall into place, and like others have said, this still leaves you with the problem of being able to hear yourself.
  9. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    well, im going to just use a bass combo the school has. Thanks much for the replies. one more thing: Why is it bad for the amp to go direct lineout instead of hooking it up to a cab and lining out as well (scientifically speaking)?
  10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've heard that before. "Everything is going through the PA." Except when you get there you find out that there is no line out jack on the guitar players Marshall stack or on the keyboard players Leslie speaker so they both have to have a mic hanging in front of them. And to get the right sound they have to have their rigs cranked up real good. Take your head and your cabinet.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it isnt. people do it all the time.
    the point is, unless the pa is good enough to handle your bass and has monitors that can handle the bass and enable you to hear yourself you'll need a cab.
  12. Some amps, generally older models and/or tube amps, will blow a transformer if there is no speaker load while the amp is running. Most current solid state amps are immune to this as they have protection circuitry built in. I'm not sure if tube amps are in the same boat nowadays?