1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question RE: SX (essex) 5 String pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 2, 2010.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am looking into a trade for an SX Ursa 5.

What are the pickups sized as? Same size? Different neck/bridge?

I guess another way to put the question is, what pickups will drop in as a replacement?

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm pretty sure the SX 5 string pickups are the same size as the 4 string ones, they just put more pole pieces on it. The size of the neck and bridge pickups is different, same as most jazz basses. You should be able to use any 4 string pickup that doesn't have exposed pole pieces or else it might look funny.

3. Robotsatemygma

Robotsatemygma

Jan 17, 2010
    Wow I had this exact question yesterday but I never posted nor looked over here for an answer. :rollno:

The 5 string neck pickup is the same size as the 4 string neck and bridge pickups which is 3 5/8", 3.625" or 92.075mm. The bridge pickup is longer at 3 11/16", 3.6875" or 93.6625mm (I did the research and math lol).

I haven't found a pickup that is a direct replacement, pole or no pole. The closest, size wise, is DiMarzio... but even then string spacing is questionable. From the looks of it, some routing is going to be needed no matter what.