Quick question regarding my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassjunior, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I'm currently running a Yorkville 400B amp through an Eden 4 ohm 210XLT and a SWR Big Ben 1X18 which is 8 ohm.

Now the question is, is this gonna be a problem or am I damaging anything? The min load on the amp is 4ohm, and I'm not even sure if you can mono bridge the thing, it doesn't mention it in the manual.

Mostly I'm assuming I'm underpowering both cabs, as it'll only put out 400W @ 4ohm, and with no mention of mono bridge....

So, any wise-ones out there who can tell me what is best?

2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're running your Yorkville below the minimum 4 ohm load using both cabinets. The real danger is to the amp. While you may get away with it at lower volume levels for a short time, pushing the volume could damage the amp.

Either replace the 4 ohm cabinet with an 8 ohm one or use a single cabinet. There's no way you can reconfigure your amp to run at a lower impedance. It's a mono amp.
  3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

The answer is ....that depends.
    If you have both cabinets connected in parallel then the impedance that your 400B will see is 2.6 ohms. That is lower than the recommended min of 4 ohms.
    If the cabinets are in series (not likely) then your 400B will see 12 ohms.
    If your amp has a fan and the air coming out is real hot then you need to make some adjustments because once the heat builds up to the point that the transistors start to cry Uncle it is already too late.
    If your amp does not have a fan then you should not tempt fate.
    A reasonable solution would be to rewire the 4x10 so it has a higher impedance and your 400B runs closer to design.

Without knowing what each speaker in your 4x10 is and how it is wired I have a tough time telling you how to configure it.

Possible choices are:
    1.. (4) 16 ohm speakers all in parallel, that makes 4 ohms.
    2.. (4) 4 ohm speakers in series-parallel, that also makes 4 ohms.

if you wire posibility # 1 in series-parallel your 4x10 becomes a 16 ohm cab and when joined with the 8 ohm cab makes 5.6 ohms a real good compromise

if you wire possibility #2 and wire them all in series you will again get 16 ohms with the same result as #1 ...5.6 ohms when coupled with the 8 ohm cabinet.

either way the wiring can be changed to put you in the safe zone.

So how is it wired and we can figure it out for sure???
  4. Actually it's a 2X10 :), but thanks for your advice! I know now that I'm only hurting myself (and my crappy amp) by continuing to run my setup like this, and will run only the 2X10, as it is more than enough power. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can buy my dream setup for multicab operation, or buy another 8 ohm cab. Once again thanks.