1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick question regarding Single Coils ...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IotaNet, May 9, 2006.

1. To the Group -

I know that single coil hum is a fact of life with J-style pickups in passive basses. I am thinking about a project and I am curious about something.

If you install a jazz-style pickup in an ACTIVE bass (along with another pickup -- a P or MM), will the hum still exist when the j-pup is soloed?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, it is going to show up still; possibly more so depending on the gain structure of the preamp.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Whether your pickups are wired to a preamp or not does not really impact the existance of 60 cycle hum. Granted, if your control cavity is shielded (which is usually is in active basses) this could decrease noise a bit, but it probably won't eliminate it. Active bass with single coil pickups does not equal "no noise" or "no 60 cycle hum".

Further, by using a true single coil with a pickup that is hum-canceling (like a split-P or a MM humbucker), you would be exacerbating the problem by leaving the single coil all by itself, without a reverse wound, reverse polarity single coil with which to help cancel noise (like is traditionally found on your average jazz bass). If your MM had a dummy coil or a single coil tap, you could wire it up this way, but by leaving each pickup by itself, you will be leaving the one singlecoil open to a significant potential for noise.

4. Thanks for the responses, fellas.

Looks like I'll be going with a noiseless-type pickup then. Probably a Duncan stack or a Fender Noiseless.