Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Question - String Gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Anyone know of any brands that make the E .110? ive only been able to find .105, nothing heavier. :confused: idealy id want: .45, .65, .85, .110 (i tune down half step and drop d)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ken SMith makes some, Burners, i think, with a .110 E

3. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    DR Lowriders - Can highly recommend them. Very balanced and heavy output. My Bass is tuned down a whole step. Fits perfect.

4. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If I'm not mistaken, Fender makes a package of Superbass strings with a taper-wound E-string at 110.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ernie Ball Power Slinkys

6. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    About these heavier gauges - is it ok to play standard B-tuning with a 130 gauge?
    How about C-tuning (on the b-string) - will that be too much?
    Or is it very much recomended to down-tune whenever you have a heavier gauge - e.g. 130 with A-tuning?

Does the gauge do anything else than helping with "tension" - anything soundrelated?

7. though i LOVE my MM stingray...i HATE EB's strings...dunno why, just never did it for me. I may try those DR low riders, but I also found Blue Steels on juststrings.com with an .110 E. thanks guys!