1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Question - String Gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Anyone know of any brands that make the E .110? ive only been able to find .105, nothing heavier. :confused: idealy id want: .45, .65, .85, .110 (i tune down half step and drop d)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ken SMith makes some, Burners, i think, with a .110 E

3. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    DR Lowriders - Can highly recommend them. Very balanced and heavy output. My Bass is tuned down a whole step. Fits perfect.

4. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If I'm not mistaken, Fender makes a package of Superbass strings with a taper-wound E-string at 110.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
  6. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    About these heavier gauges - is it ok to play standard B-tuning with a 130 gauge?
    How about C-tuning (on the b-string) - will that be too much?
    Or is it very much recomended to down-tune whenever you have a heavier gauge - e.g. 130 with A-tuning?

Does the gauge do anything else than helping with "tension" - anything soundrelated?

7. though i LOVE my MM stingray...i HATE EB's strings...dunno why, just never did it for me. I may try those DR low riders, but I also found Blue Steels on juststrings.com with an .110 E. thanks guys!