Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick question: what are the chord changes of "if i were a bell"??

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by FractalUniverse, May 27, 2005.

1. Basically its:

G7/C7/Fmaj7/Fmaj7
    Am7b5/D7/Gm7/C7
    F/Bb/F/Em7b5-A7
    Dm7/Bm7b5-E7/Amaj7-D7/Gm7-C7

G7/C7/Fmaj7/Fmaj7
    Am7b5/D7/Gm7/C7
    F/Bb-Bdim7/F(C bass)/Am7b5-D7
    Gm7/C7/F/F

Hope it helps

2. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i'm trying to understand a transcription so
    thanks a lot :)

3. Here's a pic - I can put a .PDF on my server if you wish…

(…er, um - for educational purposes only - "No Musician Left Behind" etc. etc.)

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Fractal, you get extra credit if you know all the words.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ooo, I love this tune. I've only ever heard it performed once where I not only liked it, but LOVED it -- as a jazz standard, rather than the show-tunesy, dolled up Zangler's Follies garbage I usually hear. Great tune, thanks for the page Wil!

6. You're welcome - there's a great version of that tune played by Joe Pass and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen on "Northsea Nights" (1979 live duet from the Northsea Jazz Festival in The Hague, Holland) - fabulous stuff!

- Wil

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You, of course, have the recording by the Miles Davis Quintet?

8. Definitive.....

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are two versions over 12 minutes long on "Live at the Blackhawk Complete" ! :)

10. 'Tell me how does it feel'......never mind.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    "...quiet upbringing", indeed.

12. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    "Relaxing With the Miles Davis Quintet." Wow...Paul Chamber's bass line on "If I Were A Bell" is mind blowing - it's a work of art! It might also help if you listen to the recording and try to figure out the chord changes that way. Sometimes the real book changes are not completely accurate...or completely inaccruate! But I agree with Govithoy, this is one of my favorite tunes to listen to and to play (as a jazz standard). The changes work well on the bass.

13. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    There is also the version from Miles' 60's Quintet off of "Live At the Plugged Nickel"

I also love PC's line from "Relaxin'...". I think it might of been one of the first bassline transcriptions I did.

14. Stop it! Ding dong, ding dong, ding.....

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    "... if I were a banner, I'd wave."

16. "...from the moment we kissed good-night,

that's the way I just gotta behave,

if I were a lamp i'd light,

and ........

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nay, the one I was referring to was a live duo performance from 18 year old jazz amateurs...the guitarist and singer going to Humber College in Toronto for jazz singing and the bass player to Queen's University for music. I haven't heard the Miles one yet, but I'm going to be acquiring as much of the Miles Quintet as I can after I work out the cost of the upright I might be purchasing.

PS: I tried listening to the track sample at Amazon, but it doesn't work (hasn't for ages, it just shows up with this "hurl.exe" thing.)

18. The hurl.exe thing fires up Real Player then fetches the sample from wherever it's hiding. Check you've got the latest version of Real Player.

Good luck

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I downloaded Real Player, it still doesn't work...unfortunately. However, I did pick up a Keith Jarret/Gary Peacock/Jack Dejohette live album today with "If I Were A Bell" as the first track. It's certainly a looser take on it -- the melody isn't directly stated until about 9 minutes through (an 11:45 take) but if nothing else, the drumming is sheer brilliance.