Quick Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGod, May 29, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Just a simple question:

My guitarist has a Fender Princeton 65 amp, and I need a step up from my Frontman 15 B. I heard that the bass is supposed to have twice the power of the guitar. I was wondering: Would a Yorkville BassMaster 200xm would do the trick? It's a great sounding amp, so I'm hoping it will be fine. Thanks. :) :bassist:

2. My suggestion would be to get the nicest sounding, highest powered amp you can afford. Usually, guitar players and drummers can get out of hand and you can use all the power you can get. I've heard the rule of thumb is to have 3-4 times more power than you guitarists, and i've heard have 10 times more (don;t know if they were serious or not), but they Yorkville would probably do just fine.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I say 10 times, and I am a very serious person.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    what he said.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, get just enough power. Just enough will NEVER be enough.

It was way better to show up to a gig with way too much power, and have to turn down. Few things suck worse than running your rig full blast, and the rest of your band asking you to turn up. In those cases, you are royally screwed.

6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    As much as you can afford. My guitarist is running 65wts; I'm running 500 stereo....
  7. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I say four times as much with at least equivolent speaker surface area ( If he has a 4x12, you need at least a 6x10 ). More than that wouldn't hurt though... Remember, efficiency is important as well. I've gone up against my guitarist who was on 3 with 24 times his maximum rated power, and I was heard, but I would clip a bit on the very loud notes. That was during the Acme period.
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys. :) My band is not at the stage where we need speaker cabinets, and we can't afford them anyway. So I wouldn't be buying speakers, it would just be his amp alone and my amp alone... sorry if this isn't very clear, I'm not exactly sure how to word this. Anyway, thanks. :)

9. A 200 watt combo? Yeah, that'll be fine. Smack your guitarist if he gets outta hand though.