Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Aug 16, 2004.

1. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I was bored the other day, so I decided to strum through my QSC RMX manual just for the heck of it... maybe find something out about it that I maybe didnt know... when I got to wondering something.

If you overheat and amp and cause it to shut down.... is there like any real permanent damage done to it? Like... maybe somethin you'd wanna take it in for? I mean... outside of the cooling system. Lets just say it overheated because it was getting used @ 2ohms for like... 2 hours at a high volume.

Just wondering, I guess...

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The whole idea is that the protection cuts in BEFORE the amp is damaged in any way. Usually you only have to turn it off anf on again and it will work fine. If it's an overheating issue, you may want to let it cool down a bit first.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    What do you mean when you say 'outside of the cooling system'? Petebass is right; many amps have a system wherein if they heat up faster than the cooling system can compensate for, the amps shut down, but it's an intended safety precaution and is harmless. However, hypothetically, if an amp did shut down for reasons other than the cooling system, that could definitely be a bad thing. You'd probably have to give it a few minutes to cool down, then turn it back on and see if anything sounds damaged.