Quick question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Arikash, Apr 7, 2005.

1. I'm new, blah blah blah I've got a few quick questions first off

1. When I play my A string, it sounds like it's vibrating off of the last fret, because when I fret the second fret, it stops. This only happens on that string, and sometimes on the D string, but not as bad. Is this me sucking, or is it my insturment?

2. Is there an online bass book where I can look at all the notes, and see where they are on the fingerboard? Or possibly some scales? Preferably free, because I'm all out of money after the bass pack =/

3. I might have more later :smug:
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    First of all , just wondering what kind of bass pack you ended up getting? and there is a basic pattern to follow down the fretboard to find the notes

A BC D EF G and then repete down the fret board to find desired not.

so for example if you are on the "A" string the second fret would be "B" and the third would be "C" since they are right next to each other than skip another and you are on "D" and the notes in between are sharps and flats.
  3. I got the Crate Bass pack, comes with tuner, 10watt amp, instructional video, gig bag, strap, cord. I also got the Ibanez GSR200(Jewel Blue), and I got a discount cuz it was the floor model.
  4. Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    On the fret buzz on fret 1 of the A and D string. This is probably a setup issue. It can be any or all of the following. 1) Strings slightly too low, can fix by raising the strings at the bridge slightly. 2) Neck is too straight. ( should be a slight curve to allow string travel) Can be fixed by adjusting the truss rod. If you do this loosen the rod only slightly no more than 1/4 turn it has a large effect with minimal changes. Might also have to readjust string height after this. 3) Neck is warped. Have to replace the neck if this is the case. 4) Nut is over-file'd. This probably isn't the issue but its in the realm of possibility. Fix this by having the nut replaced.

More than likely a good setup will fix whatever the problem is. If you can't afford to have a pro do it find someone you know who plays bass to help out the first time you attempt a setup. Its not really too hard to setup a bass properly but not having any understanding of it and attempting it on your own can be a pretty frustrating series of events.

All of this can affect intonation also so be ready to set intonation when your done as well.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is really a setup kinda thing, let's go there........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  6. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    i'm afraid that it sounds like you need a fret level. i have encountered than while building many instruments with good quality parts. so givin the price point of the bass pack you got they may not have done a levelling job or the fret may have raised after being assemled. a good way to tell would be to take a small striaght edge and place it over your second fret. then try and rock it back and forth like a teeter totter. if the fret is fine the straight edge will lay flat agianst all the first 3 frets if it is a fret level problem you will hear a small tapping sound as you rock the straight edge back and forth as it taps on the first and third frets.