Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TribalisticBass, Oct 2, 2005.

1. What is the average thickness of just the fretboard, at it thickest point on a four string? Is there a difference if it is fretless?

2. I have a board 7/8" thick was wanting to make more than one fretboard, If run through the bandsaw directly down the center, can I get two FB's?

3. I have a very small amount of experience here, but getting two usable pieces from a 7/8" thick one might prove difficult. Figure in 1/8" for the kerf & you have 3/8" left before radiusing. That leaves little room for error(I need all I can get, personally). I say, start w/big pieces, make mistakes, try again. Wood does grow on trees(OK, computer error- I want to put a winking, or 'smile'-type smilie here, but it's not cooperating).

4. highly figured bubinga does grow on trees, but the money to buy it doesn't. It's also why I was wanting to get two Fingerboards out of it.

Edit: the demensions of this board is 30 5/8" x 4 3/4" x 7/8"

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If your saw is set up well and you have no problems with resaw you should be able to get two boards out of it. Make sure the band stays straight and don't let it wander too far.

6. the fingerboard on my fretless is less than 1/4 " thick, it sounds and feels great, it is more than 20 years old, and there are no problems with it so far

7. awsome this is good news to a very cheap man.

8. Good gosh yes! If I couldn't get 2 boards out of that I'd hang it up. :eek:

9. I plan on ruining much more pricey exotic wood before I'm done! ;) Seriously I'm sure every poster here has more experience than I do(probably the best advice I can give is to listen to them); I'm just a bit cautious, I guess.

10. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thickness my boards to 1/4" before radiusing.

11. Usually, i use a 7 mm thick fretboard for an almost flat fretboard (16">20") , and a thicker one for a fretless (8 to 9 mm, but it is not a rule, i think you can do with a 7 mm as well) , if tou plan to make a more radiused board, a bit thicker will give you more room to operate.

ROTFL, this one was really nice,

here in Europe bubinga is quite affordable, i could buy a full trunk well seasoned (8% of moisture content), 3 cubic meters of higly figured bubinga, it was on the retailer deposit since 1978 and they even forgot to have it....

unfortunately canadian maple is far more expensive, and difficult to obtain in my area.

M.

12. I ended up paying $46 for this board on ebay, not too bad considering I may get two awsome fret boards, or one awsome fretboard, and one to trade?

13. F**K, I must set up an ebay account and sale some woods....

:) :) :)

I don't sale woods usually, but I supplied 3 fretboards to a mate (a guitar builder too) , slotted, in bubinga (figured like hell) for 25 euros.....

...but i think probably in the USA is a good deal,wood shipment to reach Americas from Africa must be expensive.

M.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Your wood is cheap, but your gas ain't... :D

Just kidding...a little bit...

15. anyone know where to get the two piece les paul bass bridge? I've googled and can't find one.

16. ROTFL...

You are absolutely right, but I can't help.

and it's getting even worst, I'm going to buy a CNC, and it's almost time to order it, THIS will be very addictive, 'cos I know will cost even more money once in my shop (and time as well, my woman this time will go seriously pissed off, she already does't like the idea of a second computer,even if it's in the workshop, to her one is far more than enough).

Every time i go to the toolshop my woman came with me, to hold the credit cards,and when I go to buy woods, she start screaming even before we leave the house.....Italian women are SO lovely..... :smug: :smug: :smug: .

Fortunately, when I order music equipement, she can't recognise it 'til it's done.....

M.

17. You can get a Warwick one by the USA distributor, but you will need additional routing on the body.

ETS in Germany have some models,
    here

and this one doesn't need routing the body.

M.