1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Question?????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by !Matty!, Apr 15, 2009.

1. !Matty!

!Matty!

Sep 23, 2008
    Arizona
    I have a Breedlove Atlas acoustic bass guitar, it's a five string with the low B string.
    I was wondering if it's possible to ditch the low B, scoot all the strings down and add a high C string.
    My question is: would that be bad for the instrument? is there any side effects this will cause to it's well-being?

annnddd.... if it is safe, where the hell can I find acoustic high C-strings? My local music stores have been letting me down.

2. you might need to replace the nut if the new strings don't fit into the grooves.

3. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Its been discussed before a few times, but never with an acoustic bass. You might have to change the nut and make some adjustments to the truss rod. As for high C acoustic string try online string specialty shops. Also, the guy that makes Doolin acoustic basses strings them E-C so you could try asking him where he gets them. Best of luck man, I love the high C on my 5er!

4. !Matty!

!Matty!

Sep 23, 2008
    Arizona
    thanks to the two of you, i'm really nervous about changing this bass, it's so perfect to me, other than the fact that i don't have that high c