Quick Question......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Aug 30, 2009.

1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    ...Should a cab always have insulation inside of it?

I have one that doesn't. Wondering if I should put some in it.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, cab sounds great the way it is (w/out insulation). Not sure if some cabs are designed to not have any sound absorbing materials on the inside??

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Some older cabs were designed without insulation like the older peavey cabs. A cab without insulation will sound a bit brighter but modern cabs with tweeters will usually use insulation to help prevent reflections and standing waves but I'm shure the internal size of the these cabs are designed a little bigger to compensate for it. If your cab doesnt have it i wouldnt put any in as it will affect the internal volume and it was probably designed without it. I've tried installing insulation in an old peavey cab i used to have that came without it and it affected the way it sounded for the worse. I ended up taking it back out. I am no speaker expert but that was just my experience. Mabe someone with more knowledge can explain better than me but that was my experience.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only cabs that don't require internal surface damping are bandpass subwoofers. Any cab that operates above 100 Hz and/or has an exposed driver cone must be fully lined for best results.
    Damping has no effect on the cab's internal volume. With the exception noted above any cab not lined may be considered defective. There are only two reasons why some cabs aren't lined. One is that the manufacturer didn't know any better. :rollno: The other is that they left it out as a cost cutting measure. :eyebrow:

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks guys!

Next question: Is there a particular type of sound dampening material that should be used?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021