1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick question :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M-Hawk, Dec 30, 2011.

1. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    hey guys! im a noob when it comes to effects. but quick question is it necessary for me to get a boss bass EQ to mix with my sansamp? :) because my friend is selling me one and i just wanna know if its good to mix with a sansamp?

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Necessary? No.

Good? They're a decent enough unit if you want an eq. Fiddling with an eq is a good way to learn about different frequencies. Most sansamps have an eq section on them, but hey you might discover a great new sound!

You sound like you want to be talked into it...! :smug:

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The Sansamp only has a two band eq, and many people (myself) included, don't find that flexible enough, not to mention it seems to give a scooped sound (heavily reduced mids)*.

The Boss EQ will allow you more tonal shaping if you find the Sansamp's EQ to be limited. The only other question is whether you put it in front or after the Sansamp. That's only a question you can answer I'm afraid.

* Yes, I realise you can reduce the bass and treble and boost the volume to compensate for lack of mids, but you still have no control over the middle frequencies and the resulting tone is quite ugly, and you also then have little control over bass and treble.

4. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I would put it after the sansamp since its a preamp pedal. Thats how most bass amps designed that the eq is after the preamp. But the eq combination between the sansamp and the eq on your amp should work.

The Sansamp Paradriver has a mid control on it, so if you find the bass driver, vt bass, or whatever other Sansamp you get doesn't have enough midrange control or boost you can always look at the Paradriver.

5. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    Thank you for all the comments guys! :)

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Actually the ability to get a middy sound by reducing the bass and treble controls is pretty limited. The built-in scoop is hard to defeat on the SansAmp. So hard in fact, that I'm really wanting to trade mine for an Aguilar Tone Hammer. Even the Hartke Bass Attack is intriguing to me at this point.

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Im curious why you want an eq. Do you not like the tone of your bass/sansamp/amp?

Will it work? Of course.
    Is it necessary? Of course not.

Have you tried messing with the tone controls of your bass, sansamp, or amp yet? The way I would use an eq pedal is for making a major eq change mid-set or mid-song. Like going from bassy to brittle. Somewhere that changing eq settings normally would take too long or is too complicated live.

8. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I have a Hartke Bass Attack is an ok pedal, IMHO. Its really hard to get a good dirty sound out of it.