1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EarthBounder, Jun 27, 2012.

1. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    I've been looking at these lovely basses for the past few days and hope to snag one. I just don't know which one would suit me the best (Primarily into blues, some jazz and many genres of rock.) So I've decided to call upon the experts (you guys.) I'm looking at these basses:

1990 Fender P Bass:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/5o55fa5m13k43f53p6c6j6c.jpg/

1979 Fender P Bass Fretless:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/5n95l75ed3ff3m63l1c6k42.jpg/

1989 Fender P Bass Plus:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/5n75i55fd3e63k83l8c6o14.jpg/

1997 Fender P Bass Fretless:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/5i15l75t53mf3l63o7c6l7b.jpg/

And a 1966 Fender P Bass (dirt cheap for its age but still quite expensive): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/5i55f55h53ed3l93h2c6fca.jpg/

So, which one would give me the most of what I want in a bass?

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    None of your attachments seem to work...

3. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks. The links are now fixed.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    As already mentioned, none of your attachments work. They lead to a TB page that says: Invalid Attachment specified. The file you've requested has been deleted or moved.

That said, you've listed all P basses... fretted and fretless. Some will argue with my thinking, but really... all P configurations have a similar tribal sound. So one fretted P bass will essentially sound in the ball park of another P bass.

But there's a difference between fretless and fretted. Both can be appropriate for all types of music in the right hands. Only you can decide what type is best for you.

5. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    True. I've always been used to playing fretted basses, but fretless basses have this awesome tone that I love, but intonation just scares me away from them.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    66 pbass.
    /thread

That thing, if treated right, will be with you till you die.

7. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    Right, but if it matters at all, it's not quite all-original. The body, reverse tuners and neck are, but the pickups are lollar, the bridge is a fender repro and the thumb rest and pick guard aren't original.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Doesn't matter. How does it play?

Also, with Lollar pickups, i'd do anything. I've got Lollar's in my jazz bass and they absolutely slay.

9. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    It plays just the way I like, enough bass, and enough punch to keep me reeled in. It's just a bit pricy is all. But you can't put a price on beauty, can you?

10. Is the fretless lined? I think that over time you'd get used to fretless, and might even be better on fretless than fretted! It all depends on the sound you want. I've been playing fretless a week and I already feel like I'm getting somewhere with it :)

11. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    the '97 is a lined fretless, not sure about the '79 though.

12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm primarily a fretless player. You've got to decide for yourself whether or not you want to go down that route.

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

That's not a quick question :D

14. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    That's quite subjective. Short to some, long to others.

15. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'd go for the 66 first, if the fact of it not being all original doesn't bother you (wouldn't bother me in the least).

I'm guessing that it would have a chance for very warm tone (nitro finish) and the pickup seems to be ideal for the purpose.

Afterwards, I would get a fretless P of good quality too (the 79 listed, perhaps?), if you are dedicated to pursue that style of playing as well.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Being that your interested in playing Jazz you might consider the Plus. The addition of a bridge pickup may be handy, and I just love those bridges. The pickups could be swapped(on any of these basses)for models that meet your sound requirements as well.

Of course, it would also depend on what the asking prices are on these basses...any of these that could be purchased at a good price would involve less risk for you as they could be easily resold without taking a loss. Too bad the '66 is stripped and missing original parts...still a good looking bass though!

17. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    I should mention that as well. The '79 fretless and the '89 Plus are both $850 each. The '97 fretless is $800. The '66 is $2,500. And finally, the '90 is $1,400.

18. I've got a '78 fretless p and love it. I have two other p basses, and love them all, but the fretless is really special. They have a cool growly sound, and the weight and feel of the basses from that era are really nice.

19. EarthBounder

EarthBounder

Jun 27, 2012
    Is that so? I've heard many good things about fretless p-basses, but a lot of people suggest j-basses if you go fretless.

20. I always thought if I got a fretless it would have to be a jazz, because that's what's so common. I came awfully lose to buying a fender am dlx fretless jazz about a year ago.

The p bass gives you that thumpy, growly p sound, but you get the added bonus of the mwah sound too. I run chromes on mine, and with a good fuzz pedal the bass just sounds killer. It does mellow sounds really well too. I did an acoustic gig with no drummer a few weeks ago. I used my fretless and it worked great.