1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chico16, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I'm right about to give into the Darkside and order a 5-string set of D'addario Chromes. My only question is if a .005 difference of gauge on an E string will be noticeable. I've never played an E string lower than .105, but the only available 5-string set for D'addario Chromes is a Regular Light Gauge with a .100 E string. My current favorite strings are GHS Pressure Wounds and the E string on those is .106 I believe. Is this gauge difference something to be concerned about? Or is it too small to make a difference? Thanks for your time fellow TBers!!!

2. is there a difference? yes. it shouldn't take any getting used to or anything though. haven't tried flats yet, but i don't think it will cause any issues. what are your concerns? tonal? setup or string buzz? overall feel?

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yes and no. Sometimes, the smaller gauges can sound thin. I know with Chromes (as well as other brands), a .095 will have a "chime" in it that isn't present (at least, too much) on a .105 gauge - on a .100 though, not much of a difference. Thump is still there, but it holds a slightly different character fresh out of the pack. After the break-in though, it's all cookie dough and creme pies.

I recommend purchasing the Chromes in the Medium gauge 4-string set and buy the low B separately. It will cost you a bit more, but it's safer to stay in your comfort zone than figure out a .100 doesn't cut it.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Cookie dough and cream pies! Awesome!

You shouldn't limit yourself to a pre made five string set... Go with the four string set with a single low B as suggested.

5. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    My thoughts exactly... I like all of the other gauges in the set they are all close the Pressure Wound gauges, the only problem is the E string :/ it'd be great if D'Addario allowed you to make a custom set but that's just in a fantasy world :( lol well thank for the advise guys I'm gonna buy a 4 string medium set and a separate low B. Looking forward to switching to the Dark Side!!

6. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Now looking at the medium gauge set, the difference between the D string of the Pressure Wounds I'm currently playing and the Chromes is +.008 would the rule of thumb be that it's ok to go to a heavier gauge instead of a lighter gauge?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is no rule of thumb.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Every string responds different.

Chromes will feel and respond nothing like pressure wounds... The .100 chrome may feel tighter than the .106 pressure wound. So you can't really judge based on gauge alone...

9. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Got it. And that's because it's all a matter of personal preference. Ehhhh I'm catching up ;) lol

10. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I've decided I'm just going to go for the Regular Light 5-string set and see how it goes with the .100 E. I noticed that what almost every single review on the Chromes have in common is that they are high tension strings even in the light sets, so I don't think going to a heavier set would be wise until I try out a set myself and figure out if I want to go heavier, lighter, or stay where I am. I realize now that all strings are different so I can't compare by gauges alone, since a .100 on string A can feel completely different than a .100 on string B. Once again, thanks for your insight now it's time to log in to bassstringsonline.com :D

11. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Just from my experience, no one knows high tension flatwounds until they try out the Roto 77 flats!! They make chromes seem like rubber bands after doing bending and scale exercises on those wired cables of pure bliss (I love the sound so much, the tension is worth putting up with).