1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arojekt, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I have an Ibanez Soundgear, and I know it has those screws on the back that enables you to remove the neck. I'm pretty sure that they put that feature in to allow you to exchange necks for your guitar. My question is, are all necks the same width (given the number of strings they are made for are the same)? And do you think a Novak fanned neck would fit on my four string?

Would I have to adjust my action, altogether, to accommodate the new style fret board?

Thanks.

--Arojekt.

2. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    those cats make some necks that will fit a P or J bass. the necks themselves would be completely cost-prohibitive in regards to fitting one to your ibanez, never mind that they wouldn't fit at all.

necks are somewhat interchangeable as long as they are kept within brands or at least the same species.

yes, you would have to do a setup on your bass with a neck swap, especially something so extreme.

but most importantly, NO it is not going to fit.

3. What bodies will it fit? I'm trying not to spend 2,800+ on a whole Mo'B Bass.

--Arojekt.

4. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i would guess any fender P or J body, or a clone like warmoth, etc. you could probably just buy a squier and swap the neck if you wanted to keep it cheap. pick up a nice body, use the electronics of your choice, that crazy neck- would be a pretty cool bass i imagine.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    You have a bolt on neck. The primary reason for all those screws on the back is to fasten the neck to the body of the guitar - nothing more!

You may find other necks that fit your bass, but it's not like putting new rims on your car.

You will have issues putting a fanned fretboard on a guitar with a bridge that is not designed for it. A fanned fretboard allows for different scale length on each string a fixed scale bridge will not be compatible.

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    No, not all necks are the same width for the same number of strings. No, a Novax fanned neck will not fit on an Ibanez SR. Yes, you will have to adjust the action, intonation and relief after a neck swap. You will probably need to replace the bridge, as well, if you're switching to a fanned neck.

Furthermore, most aftermarket necks are made to fit Fender neck pockets and holes. Ibanez SRs use a proprietary pocket shape (hello, slanted board after the 24th fret) and depth (significantly shallower than Fender). The holes drilled in a different pattern, as well. There is no way you can slap any old neck on there. It will need to be either a) an Ibanez SR neck or b) custom made to fit Ibanez SRs.

EDIT: By the way, a Novax neck, unless made through the custom shop, will most likely only fit on a Novax instrument, probably only the same model it was stripped from.

7. They only have one bass instrument in their catalogue, and that's the Novak Mo'B Bass.

--Arojekt.

8. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Builders do not add bolt on necks to basses to enable for easy neck swaps. This practice is the alternative to a set-neck or neck-thru design usually to cut building costs. (But not always!)