Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spidersbass, Sep 18, 2005.

1. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    on "Calm Like a Bomb" off their Battle Of Los Angeles album, what effects is Timmy C. using? i'm mainly interested in the verse/solo portion of the song, and if you know what actual pedals he uses, that'll be cool...

i just bought a bass CryBaby 105Q off of Ebay, waiting for it to arrive. now i just need a good overdrive/distortion pedal... suggestions? and in the future a good chorus pedal... suggestions?

2. VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    I always post this interview whenever anyone asks about Timmy C's tone.

"CommerfordÂ’s ultimate secret weapon is a one-of-a-kind, custom-made distortion box, based on a pedal he crafted himself from parts of an old wah pedal."
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry, but while Tim is a good bass player, I find him to be full of crap. Secret weapon? Not bloody likely! If you can't get similar tones out of stuff you can buy anywhere, then there is no hope for you. I find nothing mystifying or special about his tone. That doesn't mean I don't think he's good, but people who are secretive about their rigs and sounds usually just don't want you to know that they're using stuff that anyone can get. It's all a big smokescreen.
  4. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    hmm, i guess a better question is then what distortion or overdrive pedal is closest to his "secret weapon"? maybe a Fulltone Bassdrive?
  5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I *personally* find that my ODB-3 set a at a light setting can give me that early RATM grit he got from his Marshall Gov'ner. For the later stuff, with the "custom" made pedal, I use my Big Muff Pi. I find both of these pedals to be fairly close to his sound. Now to answer your question, I like to use my ODB-3 with my Dunlop 105q wah.

edit--When talking about his distortion, he describes it as a "saw with only a couple of teeth"
  6. the main feature of calm as a bomb is tim's wah, which you said you bought...put some overdrive before that, and you should get a similar sound.
  7. Yea, Tim C. is a great player IMO... but theres no great secret to his sound... I've got close to his sound with any number of pedal combinations... not that hard really :p
  8. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    He said he's always running a clean amp. so unless your running two amps, your not going to "nail" that sound.

Problem, usually, w/ dist boxes is that it thins your sound (you loose low end) - not so if you run an amp clean, too - so it's a good idea if you can afford a second amp and the team of roadies to hall it all around.

I'd focus more on finding a good sounding distortion and not neccessarily "his" sound. Maybe something that's made for bass - will retain lowend.

I've been using a Fulltone OCD - Very tube overdrive sound. Actually bought it for guitar, but for same reason - low end is kept in tack - figured it'd sound good on bass too - BINGO!

These are expensive though.