1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Rant

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Jan 18, 2012.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I'm trying to get back my PA cables and an instrument cable from an old band - two 25 footers and a 10 footer. That's $75 of gear I'll probably never see again and it pi$$es me off, especially since they stiffed me with 20 shirts I shelled out my own money for. I still have them but seriously, what am I going to do with 20 band shirts? I told them I'd let them have the whole box for less than I actually paid for each but I keep getting the "I'm too broke right now" comments...even though I know they're not.

And to make matters worse, they used some of the song titles I came up with and lyrics and music I wrote without giving me credit on their CD.

Any suggestions?

2. I tend to go two ways with this one. Either: (a) show up at their next gig, sell t-shirts for cheap to recoup some cash, then reclaim your cables at the end of the last set, or (b) donate the t-shirts to Goodwill and walk away, wiser for the experience.

3. That's an excellent idea! Might be more drama than it's worth, but a damn good idea nonetheless!!

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    And about the music and lyrics?

5. Did you make it clear to them that they're yours and they can't use them?

6. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    If you can PROVE the music and lyrics are yours, and they are making significant money from using your material, or you really want to be spiteful, you can take legal action for stealing your material.

If they are just making chump change and not going anywhere, it's probably better for your own karma/soul/self-esteem to just rise above it.

7. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    Can you prove the material in question is yours?

If so, how?

if not, see above post about walking away and learning from the experience.

8. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Make it very clear to them about the lyrics and titles (certified mail costs less than $1.00, IIRC) and then, if they ignore, they are likely a bunch of bozos who won't get far.

Walk away. If they are yours, use them somewhere else.

9. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I would take the 20 shirts and give them away....to undesirables.

10. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I vote for show up at their gig with a few friends and reclaim the cables.

Selling the shirts at the gig is a great idea as well. And if you have CD's make sure you can undercut them by a few bucks.

11. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    If they don't already have the rights to the music and lyrics you need to get them ASAP.

And if you guys aren't on terrible terms now selling the shirts can be mutually beneficial. you get you money back they get free marketing, each shirt sold is a mobile billboard.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I didn't make any particular contact yet to say "hey, this is my stuff you guys are using and all I want is a little credit and a portion of any profits made from the sale of said stuff".

Guess I should do that. As for the cables, I dunno...I don't think I could justify showing up at the end of the gig and taking them back.