Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick RBI question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Feb 23, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    is the "gain" on the RBI controlled by the "drive" knob, or the "level" knob, and at what levels should i run them in relation to my power amp?

2. Mostly the drive. The level knob does provide some distortion, but its not my favorite sounding distortion. I usually run my level half mast (12 o'clock).

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Drive control does affect output level, but also increases distortion. So, don't use it as your volume... unless you want distortion to increase along with your volume!

Use either the Level or the XLR controls to set your overall volume. The Level affects the 1/4" outs, and the XLR affects the XLR outputs. You mentioned Level, so I assume you're running a 1/4" cable from your RBI to your power amp.

As for where to set the level: that depends on your amp. Some people like to set the power amp volume to maximum and use the preamp as master volume. However with a powerful amp you might get too much noise/hiss. It also means that a noise spike can send the max power from your amp to your speakers. I use powerful amps, and prefer not to set their volumes wide open for these reasons.

I usually set my RBI for a mild amount of boost (this can be determined by toggling the Active switch), and then I adjust power amp volume... I would recommend this as a starting point. If it doesn't provide enough volume, experiment with boosting RBI Level and/or amp volume. If either method works, use whichever one sounds better, or has less background noise.