Quick Reflexes = Near Tragedy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Feb 8, 2004.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I used to be an ice hockey goalie, so I still have pretty quick reflexes. Today they almost got me in BIG trouble.

I was getting dressed to go to Guitar Center to check out PA equipment for my church and to putz around with the Brubaker fretless 5er they have there. I was ironing my shirt (ironically, a hockey jersey) and set the iron down on the ironing board. It fell. Instinctively I reached out with my right hand to catch it.

Suddenly I was in one of those Matrix time warp episodes, where time seems to slow down to a crawl. I remember thinking "What're you doing you idiot? That iron is hot. This is gonna hurt" I pulled my hand back just as the hot surface of the iron was about to make contact with the palm of my hand. There was enough contact to cause the iron to barrel roll in mid air. As it was dropping I caught the cord. The iron swung a little and banged me in the shin. In the grand scheme of things, not a bad outcome.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    phew, glad you're okay, I burned my fingers on a stove a couple months ago, fortunately I only burned 2 of them and not THAT bad, but I couldn't play bass for a while, it was pretty heinous.
  3. Did your shin get burned? :meh:

Glad you're ok.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No. The iron was spinning on the cord as it swung, so it didn't hit flat on. I was wearing some fairly baggie jeans at the time, too. That sort of cushioned the blow. It just stung a bit.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lucky bastad

Well if you do badly burn your hands, just send your basses in my direction. Im make sure they dont feel neglected while you're out of commision. ;)

6. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    A few months ago I was taking a baking sheet out of the oven while in the middle of a conversation. I stood there for a minute or so with the baking sheet in my right hand(which was wearing an oven mit) and ended up focusing my attention on the conversation, rather than on the 425 degree piece of metal in my hand. Without thinking, I handed it off to my left hand to place it on the counter...

...the left hand wasn't wearing an oven mit.

Naturally I yelped and dropped the pan.. it brobably wasn't in contact with my skin for more than 3/4 of a second, but the damage had been done and I was in PAIN. I ran it under the cold water for a few minutes then found some aloe gel specifically for burns, drenched my hand in it, and loosely wrapped up in cheesecloth bandage. I was really bummed because this was shortly after I'd gotten a new bass and had been in the best-practise-mode-of-my-life.. the prospect of being sidelined by my own stupidy didn't make me very happy.

lucky for me, the aloe stuff worked.. took the cheesecloth off 24h later expecting blister-city, was happy to find just some mildly irritated flesh, with one tiny little area that "almost" blistered. I took it easy for a day, counted my blessings, and bought a left-handed oven mit. :D

glad you didn't burn your hand!
  7. good to hear your ok! :)

a girl in my school somehow managed to land an iron on her shoulder.

its was ironic :spit: :p. She had a *perfect* iron shape on her shoulder, like a tatoo!

9. I don't like getting burned. :crying:

but a nice tip for those that tend to get burnt on special occasions:

C-vitamin!! ... take some C-vitamin (not something with flavour, just those regular 500mg ones) and crush the tablets. crushing them between 2 spoons works well. then add a bit of water to that so it becomes sorta paste-like. Apply the paste to the burnt spot and put some light patch on it so it won't wipe off right away. within minutes the burn will be gone, and you should get fewer blisters.

of course aloe vera is also one amazing cactus, and works well for burn-wounds.

Kjartan(who apparently knows a bit too much about how to treat hands after getting burnt)
  10. Since I am a dishwasher*(laugh if you must) I am constantly slightly burning and cutting my fingers on a daily basis. But it does help with growing caluses. So when ever I do get a good gouge at work, I have to let the basses rest, and have time to heal.

*Even though it is dishwashing I work at a cool restaurant with a lot of cool people, and I can blast my cds on the radio in the dishroom almost as loud as I want. Plus there is usally free food involved. ;)
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good job James! Glad you made it in one unburned piece!

I've done things like that on auto-pilot. I once caught a burning coal from a grill that fell off a porch with my left hand (I'm a righty) that was flying at my left ear. It hurt. I used to play lacrosse, (which as we all know is sissy version of ice hockey ;) ).
  12. Once someone was using the toasteroven and I went to flip the switch for the garbage disposal in the sink and I was talking with my mom and not paying attention...I rested my hand right down on top of the toaster oven that was like 400 degrees and I still have the scar to this day...:(

Glad to hear you didn't burn yourself though!
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D I'll get in trouble if'n the Mrs's reads this... but she has/had the same...

She was trying to flatten a "Hanger Nipple" from the shoulder of a blouse...

14. crowd en mass: "oooooooooh"

:bawl: ;)

im sure you kissed her better, tho, right? :cool:
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I did the same think the other day and caught the iron by the cord. Didn't take one to the shin though! That sucks!

WHen I was 17 and working at McDonalds I dropped some tongs into the boiling fry grease as I was trying to pick out a floating hash brown. I instictively reached after it and before I could register everything and pull back I had dipped my fingertips into the oil. Ouch!

brad cook
  16. *golf clap*
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Same Problem here. I used to be a wicket-keeper in Cricket (like a short-stop in baseball) and I used to play Indoor cricket (very fast game). So my reflexes aren't too shabby either.

My claim to fame is that nothing I drop hits the ground. I'll accidentally drop my car keys, a spoon, a microphone, a beer can, whatever, and I'll always catch it before it hits the ground.

Have you ever licked your ice cream and the top scoop falls off and plumets to the ground? I have. And guess what I did?

It's only a matter of time before I drop an iron or a soldering iron. Hopefully this thread will remind me not to catch it.
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I do almost all of the cooking at our house and I fancy myself as a bit of a "chef" (although I really need to take some lessons) - anyway I watch a lot of cooking shows like Jamie and Nick Nairn etc and when you see them chopping vegetables - well - I alwasy try to imitate that style and consequently have quite a few small scars around the tips of my fingers ;)

I also have a lot of small oil burns on my hands / forearms and often get burnt on the oven. - That said, im not as clumsy as I sound, I just have a high threshold for pain and tend not to notice the small burns!

BTW good save on the iron!

19. I still play goal in hockey and the same things happen to me, catching a knife kinda sucked, drill bit at work breaks off I always seem to stop them from going in the invisable net...

I feel your pain