Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick reply isn't quick

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Usually a quick reply box is a text box at the bottom of a forum post that lets you to quickly type and enter a response without changing the webpage or hitting any "quickreply" button. (kinda defeats the purpose.) Here though, it's blacked out and makes you fish through the replies for something, not sure what yet. Is it possible to just make it actually quick so you can just type and hit enter? (as it stands now, a regular reply is much quicker.)

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    You gotta click the little page and arrow icon right next to the "Quote" button in the posts. It is pretty quick, if you ask me.

3. But not any quicker than hitting "reply", and not as quick as just typing and hitting "quick reply"

4. so what is so different about quick reply?

5. You're supposed to be able to just type without clicking anything but in the text box. Really though, this was a stupid thread about a tiny minor detail, but I considered it worth posting at the time.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm quick.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I posted that last post (On a DSL connection) in two seconds. BAM, MOTHA ****A!

This one took a little longer, because there is a 30 second delay between posts... so how you doin?

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    From what I've read here, I don't think quick reply behaves as it should in Safari 1.0.3... no wonder I never use it...

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    maybe it does work, after all...

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, I see...

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I learned sumpin' today! :shinyhappysmiley:

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It is, because if you press 'go advanced' or 'reply' or whatever, then you have to wait for a new plage to load. The point of the QR box if for people on 56K so they dont have to wait for another forum page to load :)

13. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah, I've never seen these work in any of the mozilla based browsers, so I've learned to ignore them.

No clicky, no typy, just dead space on the page :Q

Hmm, just noticed you can clicky the arrow thingy and close it, and it stays closed as you navi around. Ok, no more hating on it.

Troll

14. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    The point of clicking the quickreply icon in a specific post is so you can have the option of quoting someone's post, all on one page. It's a great feature, I'm not really sure what your problem is with it davidoc.

15. Actually I love the quick reply. Are you sure you are using it right?

16. It's just easier the hit the quick reply button on the last post, and then make sure the "Quote message..." thing is off.

Just like I did.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1. Works like a champ, when used properly.

This post was brought to you by Quick Reply.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Youclik on the little thing and it takes you to the box, without loading a new page. its quick. I havent posted a reply old-school style since the option was given.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Me too. Quick reply is awesome when you know how to use it properly.

20. But this is what I'm talking about http://forums.etfgame.com/ If you go to a post there and scroll down, you can just type it up.