Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick rig question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Mar 13, 2005.

1. I've been looking for a rig that I can play shows with for sometime now. Today I stumbled upon this set up. In my eyes it looks good to me, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to amps. It doesn't seem like there is a head in the picture at all, or can someone spot this out and help me out here. Do you think $1500 CAN is a good price for it? Or even with that, does anybody know what models some of the speakers are?

The message that came with the picture is just
    "MONSTER BASS RIG, rack, digital preamp, 1200w pwr amp, comp/gate, strobe tuner, MIDI pedal, Flea wah, 18"sub, 15"mid, 4-10"high cabs, all in good cond, $1500."

Thanks in advanced!

[​IMG]

2. they are using a (im not sure what it is, looks like a rip off of a podXT) preamp, and a seperate poweramp, together thats a full amp (amp heads are just a preamp and a poweramp stuck together)

cant comment on the pricing really

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you've got $1500 to spend on a rig I think you could do much better for your money. Ask advice on this forum. Tell us what sort of music you play, what tone(s) you like, how much you want to spend and what size places you intend to play. For $1500 you could have a terrific rig that would easily fit in the back seat of a car and fill a large room. Especially if you are willing to buy used.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wont touch the brands i see as i hate to start flame wars either way.
    i would pass on that rig based on size alone. that thing is huge! especially for a 1st gigging amp. for your budget you should definitely be able to find a good head and a 4x10 or a couple of smaller cabs that should last you a good while

5. Alright, the guy emailed me back with all of the specs.

BASS RIG
    Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro digital rack preamp
    Yorkville Audiopro AP1200 2x600w power amp
    Gator 4-space rack (for preamp & pwr amp)
    Korg DTR1000 rack strobe tuner
    Alto BK2.0 stereo compressor/noise gate
    Digitech MC7 MIDI controller pedal
    Dunlop 105Q Flea wah pedal
    Peavey 410TX cab
    Gallien-Krueger RB115 cab
    Behringer B1800X 118 subwoofer

It looks good to me, $1500 CAN for all of that.

Like I seen a halfstack at my local music store for 3grand, and i'm sure I can pump out a lot more with this.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You sure its the right picture? Your going to want to get a new preamp and get rid of the 118 sub; Berhinger cabs kinda suck and that looks like PA cab anyway. Using the effects unit as a preamp will not be loud at all and will not sound good.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sounds like a lot in terms of quantity, not so much in terms of quality. Do you really need all that stuff?? I would think you could get a good used head and a new upper level 4-10 cab for that price, although it would not be quite so loud it would probably sound better(and you wouldn't need 3 hours to figure out how to hook it up and get a decent sound)

8. It isnt a question of how much it would "pump"

And i personally think that behringer amp in particular sounds like ****, didnt even think you could use it as a preamp, altho it does make sense

You could probably get alot nicer amp for that price

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have got to stick my nose in here. Quantity instead of quality!! If you have got $1500, you cold do worlds better (especially used). Look into a couple of quality items and you will be much better off. They will last longer, sound better and in the long run, work out to be less expensive.

10. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    you should buy all that crap and learn a valuable lesson. Or listen to the collective advice of talkbass.

11. Yes!! it's so eay to get cought up in that " cool looking must make big sound syndrome" Don't buy unless You play......but I must confess I bought stuff and not played and am happy....but I knew what I was looking for.....Do you know what your looking for???? If you had an idea what sound or whatever you wanted you wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. Valuable lessons are just that....EXPENSIVE.....oooops sorry I ment valuable...Or listen to the collective advice of talkbass.[/QUOTE]