Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Sadowsky Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Jun 5, 2003.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    pardon my noobliciousness, but here goes:

These questions relate to sadowsky basses

1) is there really *that* much of a difference in the sound between a p/j pickup config and a j config on a sadowsky? can someone please describe this to me

2) is a maple neck (w/ maple fingerboard) going to be noticeably briter than a rosewood fingerboard sad? is this going to be "undoable" to a non-afficianado using the active eq w/ a little treb cut/bass boost?

3) At the end of the day, is there that much of a difference between a p/j sadowsky and a p/j glaub or a j/j sadowsky and a comparable lakland US? There seems to be a pretty big price difference and not too many people out there expressing a real tone/playability difference.

4) What does a nice condition used 4 Sadowsky string go for, I think I've been bit with the GAS bug!?

Thanks!

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    about $2200.

f

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Actually, $2000.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84981

4. I have a Sadowsky jazz bass for several years. I bought my 2nd Sadowsky with a PJ configuration because I thought it sounded different enough from the jazz. The closest thing to to the JJ is a reverse PJ. But still, as other threads have discussed, the only thing that really sounds like a jazz bass with both pups wide open is....a jazz (JJ) bass.

To my ears, I agree with Nino about rosewood vs maple boards. The rosewood gives a warmer more even tone over the range of notes; the maple 'board gives it more crispness and attack.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What about morado fretboards? Best of both maple and rosewood?

6. Some will argue but essentially:

Morado = Bolivian rosewood = ironwood = pau ferro

It has the same general tone as rosewood but some think it sounds a bit like rosewood x ebony. It has a nice smooth feel and has nice figure.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Whether there is a noticeable difference between the high end brands you mentioned, the models within the brands, and between a high end and mid-level brand depends on who the audience is.

If you are an experienced player who is aware and observant, you should notice a difference, both between models and between brands.

As a bass player, you should notice at least a difference between the brands at different price points ($3500 vs. $2500 vs. $1500). However, whether the increase in tone and playability is worth it (assuming that a step up in price = a step up in tone/playability) will depend on you.

I feel confident in saying that NOBODY in the audience (experienced bass players excluded) will notice ANY difference. In fact, in most situations, the audience will only notice you if you take an exceptionally long and loud solo, or if you're just a bad bass player....out of tune, out of tempo, no groove, etc.

Personally, I think that there are significant differences bewteen all of the pickup/bass combinations you mentioned, but the finer points really have to be experiences in hearing and playing the different models. But as I mentioned above, the differences are more player oriented.

8. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    outstanding response...very well said!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    True, but when you go into a recording session, the tone that is achieved will be listened to time & time again & you/fans will start to pick apart the peices & say oh man, I sould of did this different & EQ'd that differently.

10. Nino,

I was wondering when you'd join this thread! :)

I wish I had fans! :bawl:

;)

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I used to follow the Fodera, Roscoe and MTD threads, but now I'm following the Sadowsky threads too. Jim, I'll PM you next week as to when I'll be in Boca. Then we'll see if I continue to follow the Sadowsky threads.

Agree with the audience responce, but it's nice to know you're playing an instrument that YOU know sounds the way you like it. Nothing is worse to me than listening to a local band with a bass player with bad gear. Their riffs and solos become a mixture of boom, boom, blah, blah, buzz, buzz. I like to be heard clearly (as most of us here like to be) even if I'm not soloing.

12. Cool. :)Friday night or Saturday night is fine. We (band) have a photo shoot and rehearsal on Saturday daytime.
    What about me: a bad bass player with great gear?
    anti-:bassist: