Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Sansamp Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmasta86, May 3, 2003.

1. Hey there everyone.

I'm still contemplating whether I should pick up a Sansamp Bass Driver or not, and I was just wondering:

If I run it through my crappy Peavey Basic 112 (50 watts - should I turn the EQ on my amp totally down, and just rely on the bass's (Yamaha TRB 6II six string bass) preamp and the Sansamp?

Also, what's the best way to connect it while using my amp, and not going direct into a p.a system or anything.

Cheers!:bassist:

2. Thanks for responding.

Sorry, my bass is a Yamaha TRB 6II (six string model), and my amp is a Peavey Basic 112 (50 watt combo).

The reason why I wanted to look into the Sansamp is because I don't have enough money to buy an Ampeg or SWR or Mesa (or whatever) head, and a matching cab. Around here an Ampeg SVT-3 will go for about 1400-1500, and I just spent 1000 on my bass. I know achieving that "ampeg" tone realistically can't be reproduced fully or else everyone would just by the Sansamp.

My band is going to start playing gigs, and while most of the time there will be a P.A system available, some other times there might not be (band practice included). I guess I need it for that distinct tone, and I'm not satisfied with the sound coming from my amp at the moment. So if I get the Sansamp, then I will keep saving up for a nice rig, but use this on the side. And then when I get a nice rig I can use it as a spare.

Who knows.:meh:

Cheers

3. I've got a SM-900 and 2 4x10 cabs.

I run a bassdriver thru it constantly,straight into the SWR preamp.

I don't consider the sansamp to be a gig bag back up or only good for a DI.

I think of it as a tube emulator,set the eq to get my basic sound and then fine tune with the vast amount of eq on my amp.

Awsome

4. Smash has the right idea. Go to Long & McQuade and rent one of their Yorkville 400W bass heads and some sort of cabinet and play the sansamp through that. I put on a showcase in Toronto for my record label a cupla weeks back and rented one of those for the backline. For myself I used my old SVT but for everyone else they played through my sansamp BDDI and the yorkville head and my 2x12 and 4x10 cabs. Most bassists (7 in all) were quite happy with the sound they got with more than half of the bands opting to use the sansamp in drive mode for both the pa and the amp sound instead of just a passive DI. Personally nothing can replace my SVT sound but the sansamp is a valuable tool if you can't get hold of one.

5. Thanks a lot for your responses guys! I'll take them into consideration :D

Cheers