1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick Sansamp RPM question: no speaker simulation, right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by René_Julien, May 11, 2010.

1. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    What the title says. :)

I couldn't find a clear answer on this on the Tech21 website or in the manual.

The RPM doesn't have any kind of speaker simulation.. I presume?

Since it is also designed to be used for non-bass instruments.

Does the RBI have speaker simulation... because it is the rack version of the BDDI?

Comparing the RPM to the RBI, is this a big plus, not to have the rolloff of the speaker simulation?

I have the BDDI, it is nice to use a preamp except for some drawbacks IMO (like limited tone control, speaker sim). And I don't need the presence control (that's technically boosting high mids, right?).
    And I really would like the option of semi-parametric mids.
    So RPM the wisest choice?

Thank you.

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    bump :ninja:

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, RPM's are very nice preamps, but to answer your question, they do not have speaker simulation.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The speaker simulation (VLE) on MarkBass heads is more or less a low-pass filter (rolls off highs). IMO, you can get close enough using the passive tone control on your bass guitar, if you have one.

I believe the Presence control on the BDDI/RBI is high highs, not high mids. If you don't need that and would prefer the sweep mid, then the RPM might work better.

Question: do you use overdrive? If so: the RPM OD is heavier, and can go into outright fuzz. The RBI OD is more subtle.

Another difference is that the RBI has a significant mid scoop when you crank Blend up all the way, whereas the RPM is more flat.

Finally: not to give you GAS, but I like the RBI and RPM and use them both at the same time. :ninja::ninja::ninja:

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks. :)

I am not really an overdrive user, but I do like a bit of "growl". (I'm a GK user)

More flat is what I am after.

I think the RPM would be more up my alley.

That is if I want to go the seperate pre/power route again.
    I don't know yet. :) But I'm getting new cabs soon that need more power, so that's why I was wondering.

How is does it perform as a tube emulator? Warmer or brighter than an RBI or BDDI?

6. Fuzzbass

The RPM is flatter and warmer (less bright) than the RBI/BDDI. If you want subtle overdrive on the RPM then you'll have to use the Drive control gently, because it clips a lot harder than the RBI. However the OD effect (on both units) can be reduced via the Blend control. Nearly all the sample settings in the RBI/RPM manuals have Blend cranked to full (clockwise), but I prefer to keep it around 50% (12 o'clock), for a roughly even mix of tube emulation and uneffected signal.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I was thinking you used to have a 2001RBP preamp....yes? If not, that would get you there too. I love mine.

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thank you.
    ...hmm... maybe it would not the right thing for me after all, the RPM.
    I'm loving how my BDDI sounds, I don't need warmer and more gain.
    Maybe the BDDI or RBI with a seperate EQ if I go back on the pre/power setup again.

The speaker emultion doesn't bother me that much on my BDDI. I was just wondering if it was a big plus on the RPM not to have a speaker simulation.

No, I never had a 2001RBP.

I wish GK would make a preamp again. Like the preamp section of the BL600, without the B - overdrive channel, in a unit 1U rackspace.

Or I could use my BL600 as preamp into a poweramp, that's an option too.

Too many options and too much GAS. :)

9. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    They still make the 2001RBP....1 rackspace. You could just not use the OD channel. It's an awesome preamp!!

10. Fuzzbass

Hmm... as far as I'm aware, the RBI performs tube emulation, not speaker emulation. Semantics aside, the RPM is flatter to my ears, and if you don't want distortion you can keep the Drive control all the way off, that should keep your signal clean.

Also, as you probably know, the RPM has a sweep mid control instead of the fixed mid and presence (upper treble/grind) on the RBI. The sweep mid is pretty powerful. Plenty of users prefer the RPM because it is warmer/less bright and flatter than the RBI.

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    IIRC,the blend knob is the speaker,and or tube, emulation.

12. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tech 21 always says it's the sound of a 'miked up rig'....so that would be a YES to speaker emulation.

13. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Fuzzbass has the idea, linking both the RBI & RPM will give you basically anything they compliment each other when used together.Using 2 RPM`s having the mid sweep on 2 units is probably even better seeing you can now pick 2 different freq to boost or cut along with 2 blend controls you can get that growly bass.
    Tech 21 has the LM600 & 300 which are basically the RBI/RPM with a poweramp BUT the LM300 & 600 have the same exact controls as the RBI for channel 1 but no BLEND control on channel 2 which is the RPM layout ??

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks for all the helpful information everyone.

I don't know if I'll go for either a RPM or RBI just yet.
    They are rather expensive and I can't try them out.

I have the BDDI, don't use it much, but I tried it out several times as a preamp driving a Crown poweramp.
    It sounded really good... but I guess I missed EQ control.
    I had bass at around 9 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock, presence and blend at 12 o'clock. That seemed to do the trick, but I think I needed more low mids.
    (I know, I'm having a luxury problem. :))
    So I don't know if the RBI would be that much of an improvement over the BDDI for me.

Or I could hold out for the Leeds Character Series pedal. (cheaper than RPM and RBI)
    I tried the British and the Liverpool driving the poweramp of my GK 1001RB-II, and they were excellent on bass. I have high hope for the Hiwatt-ish Leeds.

I don't necessary want to go the direction of rackunits... OTOH, Sansamp pedal + extra EQ pedal would take floorspace.
    (again: luxury problem)

I can't seem to find it from European stores.
    It isn't even on the Gallien Krueger website?

I'll keep my eye out for one.

15. Fuzzbass

The only tonal advantage that the RBI has over the BDDI is the Mid control, which is mid mid and not low mid. If you want low mids then you will likely prefer the RPM, because you can dial in the midrange voicing you prefer... the sweep mid actually goes from high bass to low treble.