1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick set up help question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    my neck was pretty straight with a touch of a bow like it should be...I took the strings off and it went from a slight bow to a back bow. I gave the truss rod a bit of a turn and made it straight. put new strings on that that were the same gauge different brand and they seem a bit thicker then the old ones. the neck went back to a slight bow and looked pretty good but the action seemed higher and was buzzing from 5-12....more so on the D and G string. higher action and buzzing? so I left it overnight and this morning I turned the neck back to straighten it. now It looks just about straight with a very slight bow....the action looks and feels like it went back to where it was....but it still has buzz 5-12 E and A a little and D and G a lot! I really dont want to raise the action because it plays so nice its like perfect where it was....its a 75 AVRI. should I give the neck more of a bow? less of a bow? It obviously has a place I can get really low action with no buzzing...because its been like that since I got it! I had the frets checked for leveling when I got it a couple months ago and it did have one touch of a high spot but it didnt effect the set up any....It obviously has to do with the truss rod I was adjusting....I really dont want to raise the saddles anymore and have the bass be uncomfortable to play. so should I straighten the neck or bow it a little more?

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    How is it if you put the old string back on?

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Whenever you loosen or take off the strings, the tension is also relaxed causing the neck to bow due to the lack of the string tension pulling it flat. Do your measurements with strings on and tuned. Figure your needed adjustments like that. Then make the need adjustments, particularly the truss adjustment, with the stings very loose so as to not influence the straightness of the neck. Then retune and see where you're at with it. Series of trial and error in getting the sweet spot. Always get the neck to the proper adjustment, then adjust string height with the bridge/saddle adjustments.

If your bass was to your liking before you "messed" with it, try and recreate that same situation again. Then read and watch the several articles and videos that are available here and other places on how to make adjustments. Also be aware that string size will sometimes influence the setup too. :cool:

4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Yeah I bought some of the old strings XL170s that were on there....but I messed with the truss rod while the strings were off which I should not have done until I put the strings back on....I added some bow to it.....but when I put the strings back on there was still not enough bow and too straight....so I gave it more bow....now with the buzzing I put it back to just about straight. I thought it helped a little at first but after sitting a bit is when the buzz started getting worse.

I dont have anything to measure the string height so I am kinda going by site....thats why I was wondering if you get the buzz around the 5th does that mean there usually is too much bow or too straight or too much back bow?

I have one more issue thats kinda an issue....the A string makes the neck vibrate like a loose truss rod noise when I hit the open A...then I can pull the string out of the nut while its tight and in tune! as long as I strum it easy or as long as I have one finger on any fret it does not make that noise. the string is too big for the nut slot? I dont really want to file it down because it was perfect with my usual strings...and I am just testing these new strings out.

5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    well I got it to stop buzzing but the action is a bit higher then it was with the XL170 strings. the neck looks like it was where it was...pretty straight with a hair of a bow. although same gauge strings maybe these fodera are round core and the xl170s were hexcore maybe thats why. the strings seem stiffer yet floppier if that makes any sense? I bought a couple packs of xl170s I will probably throw them back on but I wanted to try something new. the xls just play perfect on this bass for some odd reason...but go totally dead in like 2 months.

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    well I got it pretty good its a touch higher then it was but within reason....and now after playing those fodera strings they are killing my fingers! going to have to take them off. I have a set of the strings I took off...this time I am going to do one at a time so not that much pressure goes off the neck.

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Since you mention adjusting without the strings on as a problem, just want to make sure when you are adjusting the truss rod with the strings on, there is no tension.