1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick shielding paint question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by akuma12, Nov 7, 2006.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Hi folks,

I just recently installed an Audere JZ3 preamp into my MIM Jazz bass, and while I absolutely adore the preamp, it's taken an already slightly noisy bass and made it noisier. I don't blame the preamp though, it's just adding active electronics to noisy single coils just amplifies the noise :)

I was thinking of using shielding paint as opposed to copper foil, as I don't even know how to use a soldering gun, but I wondered if I would have to sand down the pickup and control cavities to get the paint to stick. Thanks!!

Jim

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It wouldn't hurt to do a light quickie job but it's certainly not necessary. Do multiple coats.

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks greenboy :) I had one more quick question as well, should I shield the underside of my pickguard with copper foil? Will it make any difference? Thanks!

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yes, or aluminum. Also make sure you've made connection between the painted pickup cavities and the main cavity using jumper wire or paint.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I've gotten excellent results by using tin tape - the stuff typically used for duct work - no soldering necessary...

- georgestrings

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021