1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick shielding question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I put that DiMarzio copper shielding tape into the control cavity and pup cavities of my jazz.

Does it matter if the tape is cut?

I cut it in a few places while trying to get it in. I overlapped it to help a little.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

in my experience it would be virtually impossible to install without cutting it. Not an issue. I used the end of an exacto knife and wire cutter handles with hard plastic insulation to mold the foil to fit and smooth the overlaps. Virtually seemless when done. I read somewhere that technically you're supposed to solder the joints but to me that's WAY over the top - pretty nuts actually.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    When you're completely done adhering the tape to your cavity, hold one meter lead to a spot and check a few distant points with the other lead . All points checked should be the same as if you were touching the leads together. Ideally that will be 0 but they'll probably be a few 1/10th's that show up. If more than a few ohms show up, solder some joints.
    I did anyway cause it helps solidify the whole package and you can't always be sure that the conductive ahesive on the tape is going to be pressure applied consistantly at every overlap.